Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any of these have airbags?

Almost certain you won't find a DL/GL/Loyale with airbags.  You would do better finding a mid 90s legacy or impreza if you need airbags.  I ***think*** they started putting them in around the 94-95 model year as a standard option, but don't quote me on that.  I know my 92 SVX had them (driver side at least), and my 97 Legacy Outback wagons had them (again, driver side only iirc). 

Ask your parents how they survived their first car without airbags. Ask grandpa how he survived without seatbelts.

the 91 or 92 loyale will have SRS automatic seatbelts.

In a weird time of federal mandate for existing platforms, you end up with things like a 1993 dodge shadow with an airbag for the driver and an automatic seatbelt for the passenger, akthough the driver had a manual seatbelt.

The focus should be on defensive deiving and avoiding collision, but you can't control other people's driving.

Edited by MilesFox
  • Like 1

Ask your parents how they survived their first car without airbags. Ask grandpa how he survived without seatbelts.

Just don't show them a line graph showing how the number of cars on the roads has been increasing but the number of road deaths has been decreasing...

(I drive old cars and ride motorbikes so I'm certainly not saying don't buy an old car, but the safety benefit of new cars isn't something you can deny)

There really isn't an old car vs new car safety debate arising, is there?

It's kinda not even up for debate, it's just fact. Not to mention ALL old gen Subarus aren't exactly what I'd consider safe in side impact collisions.

Well.....Unless it's REALLY new......the legacy/forrester/imprezas won't be any better for side impact.

I will leave you with a this picture.  This car was going 35~40 mph into this tree.......driver AND 2 dogs inside all lived with minor injuries.

P1010003.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010005.jpg

My 84 GL wagon has no airbags and not even any power steering. Insurance is dirt cheap too. the nice thing about these older cars is that thirty years ago manufacturers didnt have fiberglass to work with so they had to use steel or aluminum. So while there are no ABs, these cars have several hundred pounds up metal (as apposed to fiberglass) between you and whatever your car may hit. the above pics are evidence of that. Even though it did crunch up pretty bad, it did protect the occupants. What would be really nice though is if I could reinforce my frame in case somethin like this happened. anyone have any experience with that on these older wagons?

Crumple zones are great. And I have first hand experience with them in a Loyale. They work great. They crumple and absorb energy.

Tbh I think the lack of major injury in that vehicle above was more luck than anything. The steering wheel is bent and the integrity of the roof was compromised, that's not good. But like I said, side impact is more what I'd be concerned about. Part of the reason they (Subaru) dropped the frameless doors.

Crumple zones are great. And I have first hand experience with them in a Loyale. They work great. They crumple and absorb energy.

Tbh I think the lack of major injury in that vehicle above was more luck than anything. The steering wheel is bent and the integrity of the roof was compromised, that's not good. But like I said, side impact is more what I'd be concerned about. Part of the reason they (Subaru) dropped the frameless doors.

Yeah no disagreement here as far as side impacts are concerned. thats a big reason why I would like to find some way to reinforce my soobs frame. 

I don't know why you think it's luck......the car did it's job.  Of course it's got stuff bent.......but it all bent in a way that left the drivers compartment intact.

This accident was almost excactly like the testing the NHTSA does......35mph offset frontal impact...only difference is he hit an old growth tree....not a wall.

Subaru continued with frameless doors for 20 years+ from that car....up til 2009 or so.

I'm like the Chuck Heston of old subarus..........

they can have mine when they pry it from my COLD DEAD HANDS!!!........oh wait that might prove your point....lol.

the 91 or 92 loyale will have SRS automatic seatbelts.

In a weird time of federal mandate for existing platforms, you end up with things like a 1993 dodge shadow with an airbag for the driver and an automatic seatbelt for the passenger, akthough the driver had a manual seatbelt.

The focus should be on defensive deiving and avoiding collision, but you can't control other people's driving.

1993 Impreza came with drivers airbag and srs passenger belt lol, that must have been a weird year for all makes.

Edited by Ibreakstuff

Also, to add to this.. While Gloyale came out ok with his crash. The crash I had march 2013 was less severe and my L2 vertebrae is now shaped like a door stop. This was a 1990 Loyale and the seat belt didn't stop me much at all. I'm probably at 90% of my former self, even after a year of PT and facet joint injections. It's a matter of circumstance and unpredictable variables as to how bad you get hurt in a crash.

However, this does not dissuade me from driving an RX or EA body. My ride in high school was a single cab ranger, the air bag broke my nose and broke the the rear glass with the back of my head.. In ~10-15 mph fender bender.

Every car can hurt you, driving the most dangerous thing we do. Air bags or not, be safe out there..

IMG_0614.jpg

• Like 1