Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Total Newb to Subaru's

Hey!

From Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Just bought an 2007 Impreza 2.5 Wagon.

It'll be my daily driver, and maybe down the road a "fun" car.

I really like the handling on it.  

I've never owned a Subaru before, so this is a new experience for me. (I come from a VW background)  I cant wait to learn more about these things.  

gU2l5U.jpg

SwOjxe.jpg

Thank you!!

I ended up putting my Thule racks on it.  I carry around 2 kayaks a lot, and the Subaru Cross bars didnt offer the amount of space I needed.

Trying to find out why the engine ticks... Thats not something I'm familiar with.  its got just over 200,000kms on it. the Timing belt was replaced at 177,000.  And in very cood condition.  It'll last me for some time (hopefully)

Edited by ouird

Nova Scotia !!!!

Welcome!!! We love NS !

Have a great time here and with your Subaru.

Feel free to Send me a picture of your car up in the Highlands or maybe out near Cheticamp or Inverness by the water. It's been 17 years since we've been there. Cape Breton great of course but Halifax is a gem of a small city too.

Thank you!!

I ended up putting my Thule racks on it.  I carry around 2 kayaks a lot, and the Subaru Cross bars didnt offer the amount of space I needed.

Trying to find out why the engine ticks... Thats not something I'm familiar with.  its got just over 200,000kms on it. the Timing belt was replaced at 177,000.  And in very cood condition.  It'll last me for some time (hopefully)

The ticking may be related to the valve lash adjusters.  I don't know if the valve lash adjusters are hydraulic in those engines or solid.  If they're hydraulic they should adjust automatically, however they can sometimes get gunk in them if the oil wasn't changed regularly.  Do you know what brand & weight oil is in the engine?  Have you checked or changed the oil since buying it?

More oil pressure needed. Reseal or replace the oil pump. Get some good pressure up after you warm it up and if necessary give it some revs , don't be afraid , and you'll hear that last lifter quiet down once the oil gets to it.

But of course it's a used Subaru so it's going to tick a little , crackle when you turn it off (exhaust heat shields) , and squeal sometimes.

After listening closely to it, it sounds like its coming from the belt pullies (I think).

The TB was changed at 177k kms, and its just over 200k kms now. Do you think I need to get the belt tightened?

its due for a oil change at 203k kms, but I was thinking about just getting it done now so I know exactly how new the oil is. (checked the levels and they seem fine, and no bad smell).

My SG Forester with 208000km ticks a bit after starting but it quietens down quickly enough. It's fine once it warms up and you rev it a bit. I'd try putting some 5w-30 fully synthetic in it. I've run Castrol 5w-30 in Subbies before with good results.

If it's ticking constantly and badly the lifters may need adjusting or replacing.

Yeah....it's a little hard to tell.  I've had some very un-adjusted lifters that caused an unholy noise.  I would recommend having a shop take a look at it.  The valve covers come off pretty easily and the rocker assembly again comes off without too much effort.

Can you try and narrow down whether the noise sounds like it's coming from the center part of the block or more towards the heads?