Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 2.2 Intermittent Stall And No Start

Ok so I have been fighting this car since the day I got it and finally thought I had it all figured out.

unfortunately it stil has one lingering issue.... random stalling and then long crank until it eventually fires back up....

Long story short... (long story here) http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/147504-96-legacy-22-codes-and-problems/

Parts replaced for engine light... Fixed

Used MAF for reoccurring Fuel Trim bank 1 code

BPT valve for EGR code

Spark Plugs Wires/ Tune Up for simple maintenance

Fuel pump due to random no starts after short trips and rapping on the tank it would start in some instances

Few other odd and ends like vacuum hoses and such

So after I got the engine light out for good the car ran fine but after a few days I still had this lingering No Start but it has gotten to the point where it stalls while in traffic with no forewarning.

It will sit there and crank and eventually start up but it has taken up to 15 min to finally start.

After researching a little I read that the crank sensor sends a signal to the PCM to command the fuel pump to run... IIRC. Which then switches a relay under the dash on the drivers side.

If the crank sensor were starting to fail I would think there wold be performance issues associated with it and throw a code and not just cause a stall...

So thats why Im leaning towards the fuel pump relay..

I think its labeled Main relay 3 Or Main Relay 4... they sit next to one another somewhere in the underside of the drivers dash.

I havent had a chance to check it out but hoping to find some time tomorrow but would appreciate any input or advice.

Thanks

Greg

Have not tried ether but from this being a continuing issue which I thought was from the MAF but before I replaced the MAF I did check for spark and it was always present and I'm trying to put as little money as possible into this thing so putting another sensor on with out being 100% sure is out of the question and any no start I've seen with CPS issues has always had a code for it which I have no codes..... Which is a good thing to an extent.

I am not going after the coolant temp sensor because it has always read correct temps in correlation to eng temp and live data.

And after researching I am down to the fuel pump relay or the PCM which sends the signal to run the fuel pump. I will be pulling my car into my shop shortly.... Hopefully and can check more stuff out

Hah... well I guess Im replacing my Crank Sensor.

It died again in the beginning or rush hour traffic after about no more than 3 miles of driving. Came to a stop at a red light and all of a sudden it cut out and just wanted to crank... Few moments later and it fired right up...

Oh and to answer earlier questions about short trip or long trip no start (Getting Hot) there is no difference... Completely intermittent at this point.

BUT after it started I had a DTC... Stopped by Advance to grab their scan tool and read Crank Shaft Position Circuit Failure...

So with all of the other symptoms I think I might go this route... Unless this could be a faulty code set by something else...

Oh and I was under the impression the if the ECT was bad it would read -40...

Greg

I replace the crank position sensor on my 95 motor a few years back. It threw a code once or twice, got the code read, bought a new sensor, and was able to drive the car home from the parts shop. I was lucky, as once motor turned off at home, car would not start again.

Replacing the crank sensor was not easy. It was seized, and would not easily come out. I had to remove it in pieces in the middle of winter, and it was cold as hell outside, not something I want to do again. I coated the new sensor with anti-seize goop to prevent gauling for a lot easier removal, if there is a next time.

• Like 1