Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine swap into '78 BRAT

I've had a blue '78 BRAT for about 10 years now.  Long story short, I'm going to swap in a more modern powertrain and suspension and turn it into a (mild) dune buggy BRAT.

What are the best options for donor engines?  I know a lot of people do EJ22's, and that's probably what I want to do.  

But from what specific car?  

What's the newest that could be put in without a ton of fabricating?  

Is it the '96 Legacy?  

Should I stick to the 2.0 or can the 2.2 be fit in w/o a huge headache?

Is Numbchux (the conversion guy) still around?     http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/user/1988-numbchux/, http://www.numbchuxconversions.com/services.htm  

I need to buy a donor car ASAP but want to make sure I get the newest, most powerful one that can be reasonably wedged in.

I'll post some pics of the BRAT soon.  I did a lot of body work on it way back when: shaved the trim lines, deleted side marker lights and bumper openings.  And I went through 2 or 3 parts cars just to round up everything I needed. 

Thanks.

From what i've seen and read it is quite the pain to put an EJ in a first gen. I believe it has to do with widening the frame rails because the motor is too wide? You might have the skills to do this work though? Personally i love the ease of installing a 90-94 EJ22 harness and ECU. There is a guy on here however who is doing this swap on here though, i think his name is KevinT and he has a brat in the members rides section.

Cheers!