Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My sons 03 impreza has a tank leak...looks to be the seam that is around the mid point of the tank

What's involved with changing (nasty job...)

Used? new? costs for tank?

I'm kinda surprised that he has a fairly significant gas odor on the interior with a small puddle under the car....strange

positive it's not fuel filler neck related?

it's just a metal tank that has a very simple job - used is fine if it's not rusty.

www.car-part.com i'm sure yo'ure familiar with that

there are places that recondition the tanks too.  they can repair and recoat them.

i've never had to remove one yet, unsure on that part.

I had the tank in my 99 legacy replaced once many moons ago. I had a garage do it because it involved taking the whole arse-end of the car out and my wife needed the car to commute with. I got a rust free southern gas tank from a local place that imports tanks and radiators and stuff. I think the replacement tank cost me a whole $125 so at least that part of the job was cheap enough...

I wonder if there are any shops or businesses in your area that import southern tanks and things like that. You're in a rust belt zone so you may very well have someone nearby.