Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Torque Converter install 1990 Liberty ,Need Some Help Please

G'Day Folks,

I have just pulled the engine out of my 1990 Subaru Liberty auto with EJ22 motor.

The Legacy is called a Liberty in Australia as Legacy is the trade name for the Returned Soldiers organisation that helps to look after war widows of  all servicemen killed in action.

The torque converter came out with the motor as the four bolts had their heads rounded off and would not accept a 12mm socket or spanner.

I have searched for hours on information about reinstalling the converter. This forum has the best information but like most have all the pictures deleted. I pulled out the engine as I thought the rear seal had gone but it was the oil separation plate. I replaced the cracked plate today with a pressed metal plate using Permatex grey 599BR.

I have bought new converter bolts and I hope the transmission seal for the shaft will be here early next week.

I can't seem to locate the spring clip I have read about and I am confused about other parts mentioned on forum's but these may be for later models.

I will attach some pictures and would be greatfull if someone could point out what steps I need to take.

I will put the converter on the auto gearbox as soon as I can replace that seal as I had to jiggle the motor some to get it out.

Thanks in advance, please excuse the long post. Gazz.

DSCN0622_zps520d0d3d.jpg

DSCN0617_zps958f9cc3.jpg

DSCN0616_zpsc4d65c5c.jpg