Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Opinons wanted 5spd D/R or AWD in 85 Brat EJ Swap

2manetoys

This is a long gestating project  that I have going on and I would like some opinions.

The EJ 22 Swap will happen, but I'm undecided on whether to go with the D/R 4wd or AWD.  This will not be a DD or  likely ever see snow, but might see some  dirt / farm roads. No lifts or lowering.

I have an 85  Brat that needs some fairly significant body work (Rust Repair) before I start that actual EJ Swap, so I am still in the planing/ accumulating phase at this point.  I have a 5spd D/R from an 87 Loyale and an EJ22 from a 95 Sedan along with the 5spd AWD trans that was in it.  3rd gear synchro went out according to the previous owner, but iI drove it up onto the trailer to haul it home (Obviously didn't need 3rd gear for that). my DD is a 96 Outback wagon with a 5Spd that has Torque Bind.  I have another rear diff that I have not yet installed, but can if I can ever get time off.  I will likely have another car before I get to the trans portion of the EJ Brat Swap ( I'm slow) so I can use my current 5spd fom the 96 with the 95 Legacy's good Rear Diff.

The D/R will be easier and will require much less fab work (which I can't do myself yet) but the AWD would be awesome and allow more integration with newer gen and more accessible parts.

This is what inspired my dilemma:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Other-BRAT-1983-subaru-brat-swap-1995-legacy-motor-1993-legacy-5-speed-awd-/161431274553?forcerrptr=true&hash=item25960dc439&item=161431274553&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Might be cheaper just to buy that one.  LOL

Wow, that guy is in seattle! I wonder who he is!

I have a 5spd d/r mated to a 22 in my brat and I have yet to need the d/r for really anything as I dont have a lift in it and I'm not planning one, though I love the 4wd and the 5spd.  The low range is really only nice when you want to idle your car up to a stop sign at the top of a hill in rush hour traffic...lol. The real question to beg would be a rear e brake conversion w/ awd suit your driving style :brow:  and/or whats your preference between awd vs. 4wd?

Either way you will need to fab the mounts and shifter......

With the EA D/R you will need an adapter and redrilled flywheel.....

With the EJ you will need custom axles or open up the AWD box and swap 23 spline stubs into the front diff.

You will not be lifting....I will assume you keep the stock tires.......so might not need low range really with the 130hp 2.2

But you will be on dirt roads.....true 4wd might be better than AWD.......

I don't know....I would be inclined myself to go with the AWD for better on road manners, towing, and better clutch options and no adapter needed.

But then what do you do with the D/R lever in the Brat???

The EA 5spd D/R would probably keep the collector value higher as it's more like the stock unit.  And it is far superior for offroading.

• 5 months later...

Frankly, In my opinion i like the push button single range 5 speeds the best if you aren't going to off road. The option to use front wheel drive for economy,and on the fly 4wd for snow is awesome. Lets face it, Subarus especially the 2gen cars are made for snow, and re-sell value for applications like that are better if it is set up for snow. Anyone can buy a 90 legacy with all wheel drive for couple hundred bucks..

if you can get a turbo 4wd 5 speed they have posi traction i believe. Just saying.

"if you can get a turbo 4wd 5 speed they have posi traction i believe. Just saying."  Standard open diff up front,but they have a LSD in the back. BUT the transmission and rear diff are 3.7 vs the more common 3.9. You can't mix ratios unless different sized tires are used.

For the record. The Torque bind in your '96 is likely the center diff, not the rear. But the center diff out of your '95 transmission will work. Also your '95 Legacy and '96 Outback might have different rear diff ratios (I think standard BD/BG 5MT Legacies had 3.9, and Outbacks had 4.111. But '95 and '96 are sort of bastard years in both regards....so it might be different).

Only you can decide exactly what you want. I don't think any other transmission option is even worth discussing....those are the only ones I would consider.

EA82 Pros

The EA82 one will be a little easier to install. Someone on here (I'm spacing as to who....sorry) makes a bolt-in solution for putting an EA82 transmission in an EA81 chassis. The front axles will attach like they were meant to, IIRC an EA82 driveshaft is the right length, just need to make a mount for the carrier bearing. FWD seems to give better mileage. True low-range 4WD is pretty sweet off-road, even if that's just like in the yard...

EA82 Cons:

FWD sucks for aggressive driving (as you cannot use 4WD on dry pavement). True 4WD also kind of sucks for aggressive driving (especially when combined with stock EA alignment). Mediocre (at best) clutch options. Have to buy an adapter plate. Have to modify the flywheel (really not that bad).

EJ AWD Pros:

Better dry pavement manners. Better clutch and flywheel options. No adapter plate necessary.

EJ AWD Cons:

Will require modification for the axles (either hybrid, 25-spline inner EA81 axles, or open the transmission and put 23-spline stubs in it, which is what I would do). Custom driveshaft (no stock length will work). Custom crossmember. AWD will hurt your mileage a bit.

If your Outback transmission isn't a 3.9, you'll have to swap the rear diff in the brat to 4.111. Not impossible, or even terribly difficult, but something that needs to be done.

There's more...but I have to go to work now.....sorry  :(

i checked out the link to the ebay brat example. The coolest thing about this whole gen1,2,3 subaru stuff is the cars can sports cars, off- roaders, sedans, sleepers, economy cars, cheap to build and drive.. That's the allure. 

The ej conversion and lowering, sway bars, strut mods, are the easiest way to emulate a 60's sports car feel. without a ton of undercarriage work, 2wd will get you most of what you are seeking for daily driving (not rally car on dirt.) i think 4wd on dry pavement is a waste of time unless your sportin 300 hp or on the track. Just my opinion guys. i think the whole idea of legacy undercarriage is the best idea (especially in Colorado), but the effort, for payback, would be a phase 2 if i'm up against an ej conversion anyway. 

I'm nearing the middle of my own EJ swap, and decided to go with the AWD 5 speed turbo trans from an EA82 turbo wagon.  It was given to me, and that is why I chose it.  I swapped the stub shafts from 25 to 23, and that was a bit intimidating, but I got it done, the actual job wasn't too hard, just take it apart slowly and keep track of everything.  If I had it all to do again, I would just do the AWD swap from an EJ trans and be done.  Still have to swap the output shafts, but then you dont' have adapter plates and everything is oem.  I would only suggest that is you never intend to off road, which mine is going to really just be pavement only since as much as I had the DR for all these years, I only a few times went off road in a situation that even required me to shift out of fwd.  I wouldn't miss it.  Also, I have a rear disc setup if you are interested for your Brat, I'm only about two hours away from Columbus.  Maybe we can meet up sometime.