Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Altrom valve cover gaskets

Dee2

I am thinking of redoing the valve cover gaskets.  Anybody familiar with Altrom gasket quality ?  I know their seals are very good.

NAPA had no info other than the listing, so I thought I would ask.  NAPA also doesn't stock them so I can't go look at them.

I've heard over and over again from people on this forum - OEM only on the valve cover gaskets (and oil seals, and intake manifold gaskets).

Subaru Part Numbers:

RH (Passenger Side) Valve Cover Gasket 13270AA001

LH (Driver Side) Valve Cover Gasket 13272AA001

My NAPA ordered them from the Subaru dealership for me, just picked them up at NAPA like any other part.

Edited by BirdMobile

With my experience, NAPA ALTROM brans supplies an oe equivalent 'made in japan' part. This is good quality and often supplies from the oem manufacturer. 

I always shop napa for hard parts and seals. Only the dealer for an obscure part. I am always pleased with napa altrom as do not get any made in mexico or china parts the same as the lesser brands or the chain stores.

In regard to napa brand, altrom is your oem supply, echlin is your median price, and the mile master is more your generic part. Altrom FTW for seals and gaskets. Bosal for exhaust gaskets

For example, in regard to brake pads, the middle price brand is the same quality as the premium brand at the chain store, for less cost. And the napa premium part is not available at the chain store. 

Thanks for the feedback everyone. 

I'm going to try the Altrom if NAPA will order them in for me with the grommets because I didn't see the grommets listed in the NAPA ad.  If not, I'll fall back on getting them from Subaru.

May not have to move on this right away.  I was out checking the car to make sure I had some tools that could reach all the bolts and I discovered that the passenger side cover had one very loose bottom bolt :excl:  

At first I thought the head of the bolt was badly rounded because wrench didn't seem to bite, but then I saw it was just hanging out away from the cover by over two full turns and the wrench was just spinning the bolt in place.  Oil has been weeping from around the bolt. Fortunately, the cover was still stuck to the cam.  Otherwise oil would have been dripping/running out steadily.

This is the side with the most oil mess so I tightened it up and I'm going to watch it for a while to see if I'll get lucky and have solved my problem.   The driver side seems pretty clean.