Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cv axel replacement on a 1st gen Brat?

Looking at replacing the cv's on my Brat sometime in the near future. Just curious what im getting into if i do them myself (never changed a cv before). Anything abnormally hard or frustrating? Any special tools needed? I eould like to gain the experience going these myself, but Am i better off paying to have these done?

Thanks for any help!

Everything is hard and frustrating when you're new to it. But I'm pretty sure you'll do fine and we're all here to help. Do a search of the appropriate forum for repairs? Might find some help there beforehand.

As mentioned use a punch and hammer to knock out that pin. The axle has a countersink on one side of the hole. That's the side you knock the pin out towards. They recommend using new pins which you might get with your axle , but plenty of us reuse the old pin.

On the wheel end you need a 36mm socket and big breaker bar and great to have a pipe that slips over your breaker for more leverage. Loosen that axle nut before you lift the vehicle and remove the wheel.

I used to just crack the steering way right or left and be able to slip the axle out but you can undo the axle housing to get an easier swing. Check old posts or wait for the next guy. I'm fading out and don't want to tell you something wrong. But so far what I said all applies. Go at it !