Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is it ok to use an 04 WRXOEM cat back on my 98 EJ22 OBS?

It won't work unless you cut the flange off and rotate it to the correct angle. Not to mention there won't be any improvements except maybe a smidge more top end past like 5500 rpm

I was going for a better exhaust note!

I did notice the can is taller, I don't know if it will fit, although given I have the Outback sport, it will until the body squats.

Modifying the flange is not a problem, I have to get the OEM muffler cut off as is.

i've put large exhaust on older generation subaru's and noticed a loss in low end above 2.25" on 145 hp XT6's.  no experience with newer stuff except that they seem to loose power when the exhaust falls off due to rust!  i've driven an H6 and EJ around for awhile without a muffler and converter and they seem to loose some low end unless it's just the noise confusing my butt dyno!!

if you can modify though and don't care about cutting and welding then you can basically do whatever you want.  be nice to get one of those stock systems - they're made of high quality pipe that can take winter beating in our areas and not rust out as soon. 

Edited by grossgary

The system had an I.D. of 2.5", sooo I hopped on it.

$80 for a low mileage WRX muffler with the mid-pipe sectioned resonator?

Called a muffler shop I hadn't used in years, the owner turns out to be a Subie fanatic,

trying to sell me his RS rims with Carbide studded winter tires :wacko:

This ride is quickly headed toward /r/Battlewagon

The muffler is similar in size/shape and the brackets are almost identical.. can't wait to see what happens.

I do prefer the OE quality build, I'll have to see about having it put in so as to fully utilize that.. having it done properly if possible.

Thanks guys, but I got this one haha

Soo the 2004 WRX cat back OEM set-up is almost bolt-on!

Awesome, a new flange is simply needed to mount it past the resonator, in the forward direction.

Hangers might need slight adjustment, but the shape and size is spot on.

I have a fellow OBS rider from the Chicago area that commented he'd like to buy my stock muffler as his was basterdised.

I agree, his magnaflow sounds raspy and crappy :/

I'll be selling him the muffler and midpipe with resonator piping, all unbolted, stock, and with some light surface rust.

It's in perfect shape, I'm just replacing mine as the thread suggests.

How much should I charge?

Labor and fab/parts for replacement on my end is about $100, everything considered.