Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help choosing exhaust EDIT: Pics added(56k warning)

Some background info...I have a 97 OB with a Borla header and a custom catback (2.25) with a "ricer" straight through muffler. Its kinda loud and the mayor of my town is being a little napoleon and told the local cops to go after all of us. I have had my exhaust for about 2 year and have never been puled over. And now in the past 2 weeks I got 1 ticket and 2 warnings. And my brother got 1 ticket and 1 warning.

Now for the options. I have a wrx muffler I wanted to throw on to make it a little more quiet; however when I brough it to my local shop that made my last catback they are telling me they can't just cut and weld it on. They are saying I need a new mid pipe whether its from subaru($250) or if they make it with a resenator ($200). Do I really need the resanator? and is it worth the extra $50 for the oem pipe? Im a broke college student and would like to get it done as cheaply as possible. Any ideas or other posssible suggestions?

Thanks

Jon

i have a stock 2002 wrx mid pipe you can have for $50...

not sure if it will work exactly.. but $200 is way too much to pay for what you're doing.

Jamie

Thanks for the offer but when I bought the muffler the guy threw in the mid pipe also. I guess I should bring the wrx mid pipe up and see if they can do anything with that.

3rd cat? I didn't think bg's had that many. Do you have any pics of your setup? If you've still got a joint somewhere you can always get pieces from there back.

Yeah umm its proabibly 2 Im so tired right now. Ill try to get some pics tomarrow.

I do have 3 cats and a resenator. I also got some pics. And I "test" fitted the wrx mid-pipe and its kinda close, its just a few inches short. As you can see in the 5th pic the cat back is welded onto the resenator. So any ideas? I might go and ask if they can legnthen the wrx mid pipe and just bolt the mid pipe on after the 2nd cat.

exhaust01.jpg

exhaust02.jpg

exhaust03.jpg

exhaust04.jpg

One of my friends told me to check out these- http://store.summitracing.com/product.asp?p=2177&searchtype=ecat

he said that they are sometimes used as "resenators" so I wouldnt have to change my muffler. What do you guys think?

Here is a sound clip of my exhaust its inside the car w/ windows down-

http://aplace4myhead.com/ob_exhaust.wmv