Ultimate Subaru Message Board

30 years, 163,000mi... time for new shocks?

Ok so to my knowledge the shocks on my GL Wagon have never been changed. After thirty years and 163,000mi, Do you think I should get new ones? I found these on amazon and was wondering if anyone had any input.

http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-5914-OESpectrum-Sensa-Trac-Passenger/dp/B000C59MIE/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1412130217&vehicle=1984-13-59-20--16-8-8-3182---4-430--2-0&sr=1-1&ymm=1984%3Asubaru%3Agl&keywords=shocks

I would think it would be time.  As it is my 2005 Baja with 144K is nearly ready for new ones.  Careful to get the right ones, you may need to play with the model year to make sure they send you the right parts.

Ok thanks for the input. Any company you recommend or do you think the one in the link i posted is good enough? 

You'll have to be careful between the 2wd and 4wd model shocks. I believe the fronts are the same, but the (rear) 2wd shocks are taller due to a different mounting location.

The link you listed is for an extra? shock/dampener. Not what you are looking for. As I have read that those type of add-on absorbers do nothing.

KYB's on Rockauto are a decent price. You'll be able to find the correct part numbers if you search around on the board.

Edit: You'll want to search for "strut" rather than "shocks" to get what you are looking for. 1988 GL on Rockauto seemed to provide the most options.

Edited by ystrdyisgone

I just did the front om my 88 gl with 127k on it. They were original and suprisingly weren't totally dead. The were pretty weak though. I went with the monroe on the front and kyb for the rear but when I went to change the rear they were recently changed with monroes so I left it alone.

I'd get new strut bearings for the front as well. The rubber in mine was pretty cracked and the bearings weren't real smooth anymore.

I looked and I couldnt find 'Fuji Heavy Industries' anywhere because of surface rust. So maybe they were replaced but defiantly not recently. He rides okay for a thirty year old wagon, but honestly its hard for me to tell because I dont know how he feels without those old shocks. And for those who spoke up about the difference between the front and back you all are completely right; the shocks on the back are very different form the front ones.

yes, the front is a called a strut - basically a shock inside a coil spring.  You just need to find the replacement shock and then compress the coil springs to replace the inside shock.   A shop can do this if you don't have access to a few spring compressors.  You might consider getting new top hats or at least replace the bearings in them.

The rear is just a standard looking shock absorber.   Do the rears first and see if there is improvement - easy and cheap.

When I did my front struts, I ended up regrease/rebooting the axles, rebuilding my calipers, turned the rotors, new pads, all new brake fluid, new tie rod ends, new steering boots, new ball joints, new wheel bearings/seals and wrapped my exhaust to keep the heat off all the new rubber parts.

Hopefully, I won't have to replace anything on the suspension/steering/brake system for another 30 years.    When I bought the car in 1993, the previous owner had just put new pads on.  That was 85,000.   I ran those pads for 145,000 miles (odo is at 220,000 now).    So yes, I hope I'm good to go for 30 years.   We will see... maybe.

can't you gauge them by putting weight on your car, letting off and watching how much the body bounces? If it stops bouncing pretty quick and snaps back to original position, then they are good. If it just keeps bouncing for a while then they are shot??

I could be way off here so someone correct me if im wrong.

Just figured it'd be worth assessing them before assuming they're bad..

• 4 months later...

Was searching for info on this today and came upon this thread.  My DL has nearly 296xxx miles and I'm pretty sure stock shocks.... The car just kind of floats along.

Also has what I'm thinking to be bad CV joint/s I'm getting that thumping when I turn. I don't think it is the wheel bearings because I replaced them about 10k miles ago.

Fun fun!!!