Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I just picked this little beater up and I have to say I'm impressed by it. This is my 4th Subaru and by far my favorite since its the first time having a 5 speed with AWD before this I had a 84 Subaru Brat 4spd dr 4wd, then a 93 Impreza fwd auto, and then a 98 Subaru Impreza Auto AWD. Here's some pics!

IMG_20141001_114430430_zpsb91018b6.jpg

IMG_20141001_114513157_zps6b1bc5bd.jpg

IMG_20141001_114448960_zpsb51455b4.jpg

IMG_20141001_114524996_zpsfdbc7d53.jpg

It has 177,000 miles and ss far as I know the clutch, timing belt were done about 2 years ago. It has fairly new tires all around, service records all the way back to purchase date, and the only issues I've noticed is the ac doesn't work, theres some vibration coming from the front driver side when you get to about 50mph which the last owner said is from the wheel being bent, and a broken wheel stud on the back driver side which I discovered when I was attempting to rotate the tires to isolate the vibration.

Anyway I'm glad to own a Subaru again!

Edited by c0r3f1ght3r

95 Ej22 with a 5 speed - you just bought about the most reliable package possible. You've got OBDII for easy diagnostics for check engine light and your motor is still non interference. Nice clean looking car too!

Couple searches on here will give you the specifics. Wheel studs are a pretty simple job to replace. Most of the time the A/C goes out, it's just the o rings on the compressor. (So about 49 cent fix) and if you do have a bent rim, a junkyard makes for an easy replacement. Should be easy and cheap enough to smooth out those little issues.

nice score!

95 Ej22 with a 5 speed - you just bought about the most reliable package possible. You've got OBDII for easy diagnostics for check engine light and your motor is still non interference. Nice clean looking car too!

Couple searches on here will give you the specifics. Wheel studs are a pretty simple job to replace. Most of the time the A/C goes out, it's just the o rings on the compressor. (So about 49 cent fix) and if you do have a bent rim, a junkyard makes for an easy replacement. Should be easy and cheap enough to smooth out those little issues.

nice score!

Yes I agree. I'm going to replace the wheel stud this weekend along with the bent rim. The AC was missing the drier can so I installed a new one and tried to refill it with one of those freon refill cans but the compressor wouldn't kick on so by next summer I'll take it into an AC shop and have them service it. Thankfully its nice dry heat down here!

the compressors rarely fail and aren't expensive. May consider just throwing a used one in there.

Yea I could try that but I have no equipment to refill or pressure test and trying to use those cans which don't seem to ever really work well and are pretty expensive.

probably just 2 bad o-rings at the compressor - many people, including me, have fixed the a/c fro less than $1 (uh, not including the new refrigerant)

read here; http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/43428-diy-c-air-conditioning-leak-refrigerant-repair-5-less-15-minutes-less.html?highlight=diy+a%2Fc

probably just 2 bad o-rings at the compressor - many people, including me, have fixed the a/c fro less than $1 (uh, not including the new refrigerant)

read here; http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/43428-diy-c-air-conditioning-leak-refrigerant-repair-5-less-15-minutes-less.html?highlight=diy+a%2Fc

Hey thanks for the link I may try this sometime soon but I'm not too worried about the AC atm since its starting to cool off for the year down here.

The late 90's subarus are really great, and the 95 with relatively low miles should work out well for you.  Being in  Texas you probably don't have to worry about the problem common in the snow belt of rear brake line rusting or gas fill tube rusting, but here are a few things that I found to be somewhat frequent problems on the 90's subarus.

1. Alternator failure

2. Starter failure.  Not only do the old starters fail, but sometimes the power to the starter solenoid needs to be brought directly from the battery.

3.  MAF failure.  If the car starts to stall occasionally but then run alright for a while, suspect a glitch in the MAF.

The late 90's subarus are really great, and the 95 with relatively low miles should work out well for you.  Being in  Texas you probably don't have to worry about the problem common in the snow belt of rear brake line rusting or gas fill tube rusting, but here are a few things that I found to be somewhat frequent problems on the 90's subarus.

1. Alternator failure

2. Starter failure.  Not only do the old starters fail, but sometimes the power to the starter solenoid needs to be brought directly from the battery.

3.  MAF failure.  If the car starts to stall occasionally but then run alright for a while, suspect a glitch in the MAF.

The alternator looks fairly new, but the starter and maf I'm pretty sure are stock. The car starts fine though and thankfully it is a manual so I don't worry about the starter too much. The car has only had two owners and the original owner sold it after a hail storm, second owner only had it for a couple months and they sold it because they were given a newer car.

I took a good look underneath before I bought it and its virtually rust free, all the bushings, sway bars, etc are all very clean and doesn't make any noise even when driving down some bumpy gravel.

All the axles were replaced at some point, but it seems they never touced the tie rods so I want to replace them soon since the boots are damaged.

I may also do something with the exhaust because I'm pretty sure the CAT isn't helping at this point and it also makes this whistle sound at high rpm which I've read is caused by the muffler.