Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quick intro,

I currently have  Nissan 350Z which I am selling. I have looked at quite a few different options as to what I should buy next and I have narrowed it down to two choices.

2011 WRX 2.5 Hatchback or an 07/08 WRX STI Hatchback (manual of course).

The newer WRX is $27K where as the STI's range from $27 - $30 dependant on mileage.

What is the better car all round? The WRX because its newer and has less mileage or an older STI with slightly higher mileage?

It will be my daily driver for the next 2-3 years.

Your thoughts?

If you can get past the bragging rights of having an STi I think the WRX is really the way to go for a comfortable, sensible daily driver. A friend and coworker of mine is on his second STi. They're fantastic cars and he loves them... but every they ride harshly(makes my 05 Outback feel like a Cadillac) and everything for them costs extra money. The newer 265hp style WRX really seems like the smart money to me. Especially if it's newer and lower mileage.

Just my opinion and all... 

I'd tend to agree w/'fishy'.

There were some upgrades on the STi version in '11, if you can swing it. From Wikipedia:

A facelift of the STI arrived in 2010 for the 2011 model year, distinguished by a new front bumper. Tweaks to the suspension—stiffer springs, larger anti-roll bars, new pillow ball bushings on the front lower arms, as well as wider standard tires—had the effect of improved handling

Is your Z stock or modded? You may already be 'accustomed' to the firmer ride of the STi. But the WRX can be made to handle like the STi and can be upgraded to STi power levels w/out much trouble.

Regardless of which model you get, PLEASE get a compression and leak down test done. Yes, it's @ least a couple hundred $$, but turbo Subarus don't have the 'bulletproof' engines of the NA versions (minus their infamous head gaskets).

GL,

TD

I own a 2014 WRX 5-door and purchased it because I couldn't afford to buy an STI and I wasn't going to buy one used. I was doing work to a 2010 STI at work the other day and got to drive it extensively. It also was a hatch and in my opinion, I truly do not think the price difference is worth it. Yes, the STI has tighter and more responsive handling, but it may be considered harsh for some. Doing some pulls in the STI, I really could not tell much of a difference in power.

Do I wish I had the 6MT and DCCD? Of course. However, there are plenty of aftermarket options for suspension upgrades, sway bars, and bushings, that could easily make a WRX out handle an STI without spending nearly as much money. If I were you, I would buy a brand new 2015 WRX. It has a twin scroll turbo, 6MT, and many other improvements over the 2014 that you can find out about online.

For me, I had to have a hatch. Also, I think the 2015 is a very ugly car. I have no plans to modify my car and I'm very happy with it. Whether you get a WRX or STI, I'm sure you'll be happy with it as well, but make sure if you're buying used you don't buy a car that's been beat on or hasn't been maintained properly.

I'd tend to agree w/'fishy'.

There were some upgrades on the STi version in '11, if you can swing it. From Wikipedia:

Is your Z stock or modded? You may already be 'accustomed' to the firmer ride of the STi. But the WRX can be made to handle like the STi and can be upgraded to STi power levels w/out much trouble.

Regardless of which model you get, PLEASE get a compression and leak down test done. Yes, it's @ least a couple hundred $$, but turbo Subarus don't have the 'bulletproof' engines of the NA versions (minus their infamous head gaskets).

GL,

TD

Just minor mods, stock suspension. Its the top spec model below the "nismo" so it has the firmer suspension and Brembo brakes but nothing too special.

I only like the appeal of the STI because of the bigger brakes, and nicer interior. I am worried that going from a 300hp car to 265hp? car will disappoint me, however I test drove a 2007 S-GT and was happy with the acceleration off the mark, its just flat through the middle / upper rev range.

Coming from a family with both a GD WRX (Mine) and a GD STI (Dad's), I would go with an STI any day.  I could discuss how much more solid and confidence inspiring the STI is.  Or about how you can't reasonably/safely upgrade the WRX to STI equipment levels without cutting corners, but what it comes down to is this:

If you don't care/don't have the money/want to modify, go with the WRX.

If you want to go faster/money not an object/don't want to modify, go with the STI.

• 3 weeks later...

Update,

I drove a 2012 WRX Premium spec for a weekend trip, loved it. But I decided not to get it due to a dodgy history.

its been two weeks and there hasn't been any others up for sale that tick all the boxes.

I have since started looking at 07-09 STI's and have found a stock 07 with 48000 km's at a reasonable price.

There has already been a compression test done, see attached.

I now know that there has been an issue with ring land failure on these cars, what would you say about the compression test? #4 is lower than the others, should I be worried? I've read several threads on other forums stating how sh!t the subaru's pistons / tuning seems to be.

P.s, I am looking at the JDM 2.0 liter motors and not the inferior 2.5 as some people would say

V2263822638-VAM Vehicle Appraisal.pdf

Edited by Ujelly2

Here in the US the EJ205/ 2.0 are known for 'spun bearings'. But if this is the EJ207 engine, they may be superior to both US 2.0 and 2.5.

I wouldn't be worried about # 4. It looks to be w/in spec variance....but w/out actual #'s it's not 100% clear.

• 2 months later...
So I found an STI i liked after looking at 6!!, have had it for about 2 months and just the other day I noticed a random switch under the center console, any ideas? I haven't noticed any lights / sounds or performance changes. It is an 07 STI (JDM- EJ207) manual fyi :P

DSC_0525.jpg

DSC_0526.jpg

Also, just to keep this thread somewhat interesting, I ordered these in 18x9.5 +38  (the blue ones)

14314486053_19cbaf952a_b.jpg

Edited by Ujelly2

Good for you for not buying the first car you looked at!  That switch is not OEM.  I would trace the wires and see where they lead you before flipping it too many times.

As for the wheels, you might want to look for something with a (Numerically) higher offset.  The factory wheels are like +48mm (or more) off the top of my head.  Going to such a low offset wheel will put more force on your wheel bearings and will contribute to torque steer, not to mention really screwing with your Dave Point.

I see you rolling your eyes at me, but +38 is not the way to go.