Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Refresh of a very interesting 1982 Brat

subarubrat

I started a thread just on the engine but figured the whole thing should be documented because it is an interesting example. The good thing is it is a rust free truck and has very few dings and the expected paint fade of a socal car. I am in the process of a full body makeover and re-spray with new trim/badges/decals etc. as well as an interior overhaul with as many (I want 100%) new parts as possible so it looks showroom fresh. I am doing an overhaul of the engine to get the HP up a bit and make it more drivable in modern traffic.

The truck is lightly modified with some real nice custom work and I plan on keeping it as-is for the most part. The interesting thing is that this truck was modified with a lift, larger wheels, and some other custom work in 1989, which is allot earlier than I knew this stuff was going on. I had an 86 at the time and just assumed that the conventional wisdom was correct, that you could not lift them. My plan for the truck is to get it to where it is stock +1, not heavily custom like I have done in the past, but something that could have been done in 82, along the lines of what folks were doing to Toyota 4x4s, had we known then what we know now.

Here are some emails from the original owner that shed some light on the history of the truck and the parts on it.

I am glad everything is in order. The wheels were made at "Taylor Made
Wheels" in South Gate, California They build to order, their phone #
about 25years ago was (213) 567-3998. I had them make the wheels
because they Could make them look just like the 13" OE's and wear the OE
hub caps. Quite a few people have asked me about those wheels over the
years after they realized that they where not 13" . The lift kit was
also custom made by "Tom Topping" retired over 12+ years ago. He
designed everything (lift kit, push bumpers, skid plates, the removable
rear seat setup, axles, rear dif. strengthening support) built and
installed everything in about two weeks, back in late 1989.
Let me know if there is anything else
BA

The axles are a mixer of Subaru outer CV joint with Smitty Axles ( I think
that is what they were called) and the inter CV is half Subaru and half
VW. Tom that raised the brat came up with the design. Tom made two of
these Brats, mine and my brothers. Tom was working on my brothers front
suspension, Tom was able to remove the front sway bar and added
additional subframe mounting points and made that brat handle better
then it did with the sway bar on or off road. My brothers' brat was T
boned and was totaled.
BA

post-968-0-09813900-1412697940_thumb.jpg

Edited by subarubrat
  • Like 3

The engine;

30 off the heads and port/polish

EA82 SPFI pistons

Delta torque grind cam

EA82 intake manifold

Weber carb

New valves / rod + main bearings

Emissions delete / EGR / aux air etc.

Felpro permatorque head gaskets / OEM gaskets elsewhere

New distributor / wires / plugs

New alternator

New fasteners (all other than head studs)

New water pump / thermostat

Repaint the tin

Will do a header

As it came out at 223k miles, a very good core with like new conditions inside.

post-968-0-18441500-1412698128_thumb.jpg

The overhaul..

post-968-0-42362400-1412698172_thumb.jpg

post-968-0-13410100-1412698233_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Your Brat looks Awesome!

How you gonna name it?

... The wheels were made at "Taylor Made Wheels" in South Gate, California They build to order, their phone # about 25years ago was (213) 567-3998. I had them make the wheels because they Could make them look just like the 13" OE's and wear the OE hub caps. Quite a few people have asked me about those wheels over the years after they realized that they where not 13"  ...

So, if they're Not 13" ... are they 14"?

Kind Regards.

These are the wheels on the truck. Yes, the wheels are curved like stock, the spokes are slightly different but overall they are easily mistaken for stock wheels. These are on the truck while it is at the paint shop, once it returns they will be sent off for powder coating by the same place that is doing my roll bar and bumpers.

Here are some detail pics;

post-968-0-66927200-1413250322_thumb.jpg

post-968-0-57718000-1413250332_thumb.jpg

Edited by subarubrat
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the other part of the rear bumper delivered today, the front will be dropped off asap. So far so good, and the wheels will get done right after the painting is finished. As far as the paint goes, despite the lack of rust at the present I know how rusty these things are and I don't want to take any chances so we are going to soda blast down to bare metal and ensure that every little scratch is dealt with to lock out any rust starting points.

And yes this is the rear bumper, upside down so it would not slide, the hitch part connects to the frame underneath and it all bolts together at the big tab on the bottom.

post-968-0-71081900-1414814646_thumb.jpg

Edited by subarubrat
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just waiting on the truck to come home from the body shop. I am having them take out any dings, soda blast to bare metal, epoxy prime and paint. Once it comes home I have to drop the motor back in and wire it up and install all the trim again. I told the body shop not to worry about getting it to me until the salt is off the road and I am wrapping up my winter project with the other car. Expect to see it on the road by summer!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Expect to see it on the road by summer!

Yep, that was what I thought..... After months of promising me progress any moment the body shop FINALLY got my truck into the queue. I visited it the other day and it is through the primer, the body looks straighter than it did new! I am guessing late this month or early Nov and I will have it home so I can drop the new engine into it that has been on my bench for a freaking year! I will grab pics when I drop by to check up on it again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is supposed to be dropped off at my house on the 30th and I will start putting it back together asap. Maybe I can sneak in some drive time before the roads get salted and it is locked away for the winter. As amazing as BRATs are off-road I think this one will never see a wet or salty road again. They are just getting too rare and in an other 10 or 20  years how many will be left?

post-968-0-07782900-1445127029_thumb.jpg

post-968-0-11954000-1445127034_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That's a Nice paint job, looks Awesome.  :) 

Also I like the Colour, you'll only need the BRAT decals,

some USMB members does great quality Reproductions, like Pooparu, see:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/151788-lots-of-subaru-reprodution-decals-my-new-store/

Can't wait to see Photos of the finished product!

Kind Regards.

• 2 weeks later...