Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Reasons for and against a JDM EJ22?

thesmith

Hey all.

I keep finding JDM EJ22 motors on Ebay out of Legacy LSi's with about 40k on the clock.

I'm wondering if there are marked differences between USDM and JDM blocks that would make parts hard to find? Thinking this could be a great candidate motor for a swap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-98-SUBARU-LEGACY-2-2L-ENGINE-JDM-EJ22-LEGACY-LSi-Engine-EJ22-Automatic-4wd-/371159568581?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item566ad590c5&vxp=mtr

Years available generally look to be from 94-98.

Thanks!

W

There is no difference in them from your standard usdm ej22e. And the price tag in that one is absolutely absurd. You shouldn't pay more than $500 for a used ej22e.

Also looking at that one in particular, it's from a first generation legacy, not a second gen like the ad would imply.

Edited by 86BRATMAN

actually there may be one difference,

no EGR.

not all 95 - 98 ej22s had it , but if yours does, you will need it.

and if you are planning on installing it in an ej25 car, you will need it.

but bratman is right,

it is WAY WAY WAY too expensive.

one reason the ej22 is so popular is because they are

reliable,

durable,

and will take a lot of abuse.

so used engines from the us are a very safe bet

and available.

look here:

www.car-part.com

sort by zip code to see what is close.

Edited by johnceggleston

There is no practical reason to buy a JDM EJ22. but practicality holds little value to most people, so if you want one, go buy it.

perfectly good EJ22's are easy to find in the US, so obscure sources aren't much needed.  although i get that the NW is a challenging place for Subaru parts.

www.car-part.com

someone on the forum probably has one as well.

JDM is a good source for EJ25's due to their prominence and propensity to blow headgaskets and lower end bearings.  they have a higher failure rate, higher prices, and the demand is such that sometimes it's hard to find a reasonable solution.  it is then that JDM is a good fit.

but none of that holds true for EJ22's, so it would be a last resort for me.

Also many of those JDM engines say EJ22 in the ad but when they get here they are N/A EJ20s (japan puts a premium tax on engines larger than 2.0)

They are plug and play 99% direct swap for our OBD I EJ22 and use all the same parts except pistons and rings.....but not 2.2 liters.

• Like 1

Also many of those JDM engines say EJ22 in the ad but when they get here they are N/A EJ20s (japan puts a premium tax on engines larger than 2.0)

They are plug and play 99% direct swap for our OBD I EJ22 and use all the same parts except pistons and rings.....but not 2.2 liters.

Bingo. The SOHC EJ20E/EJ201 is an ultra-common fix for the EJ25D or EJ251/3 problems that occur frequently. Since the EJ22s are sometimes hard to find (cheap, or in good shape/low mileage), the EJ20 is a drop in solution, albeit with less power.