Ultimate Subaru Message Board

!RESCUED! 1980 Subaru Brat

Scooner

Thanks! I sat in it for the first time today and what a cool unique vehicle. I am 6' tall and do not fit so comfortably but i can't wait to actually drive it. I am reading up alot on body work and rust repair to make sure i get it right.

• 3 weeks later...

24lsy2u.jpg

Haha it sure does! These seats are almost perfect, and the shell is in great shape. Already took off all the lights including the headlight assemblies. Too bad i'm getting starting at the beginning of winter. Although in the game of car building i've found (with small kids) that it is a marathon not a sprint.

I also ended up with 2 more good 13" jackman wheels and 4 nice standard brat spoke wheels.

• 1 month later...

21cxtg0.jpg

It became really cold so the BRAT went up on jack stands in the garage. However i just got 2 Jackmans back from the sandblaster and dropped off the other two. I wish these were 14's but will still look good as i am painting them bright white and i have a brand new set of 185/70R13s coopers waiting at the tire store when all of the wheels are done.

I'm also still trying to get the engine to start, i ordered a new voltage regulator and a new coil just so i know everything electrical is brand new. I still can't believe how small these things are haha.

1zedu21.jpg

Fully primered and then painted with bright white epoxy paint made for appliances. I'll do another coat when this one is dried. They are going to look pretty sharp on the BRAT i think.

I love the look of the jackmans too, the lady i bought the brats from told me the other night that i'd have to bring these wheels back because she wasn't supposed to sell them. I said that's YOUR bad. I just spend almost $500 in getting these sandblasted and new tires so there's no way i'm giving them back. Powder coating white would've cost $40 a wheel which to me seems outlandish.

Edited by Scooner
  • Like 2

Wheels look great. Concerning the lady, perhaps you should invest in a set of locking lug nuts. Lady might try something crazy to get them back, or perhaps the person who didn't want her to sell them. Doesn't hurt to be safe either way. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Haha funny you say that, we needed to get snow tires on my wifes outback but couldn't find the special socket for the wheel locks so had to buy a whole new set with a socket from subaru. Well in the end i found the other socket so now i have a full set of locks and a socket. I wonder if subaru has changed the size of their lug nut studs over the years?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

6ibeqa.jpg

I think those restored jackmans look great, i used 185/70R13 Coopers, total to have the wheels sandblasted then primered/painted and also brand new tires cost about $500. Expensive but worth it in the long road to restoration. Warm weather would also be pretty sweet!

Great progress! I like Brats and especially a good rescue story :D   I just got up to speed on all of the details in this thread and I can't wait to see what happens next! Nice work space BTW.  I like the lifted red EA82 Wagon with tinted windows in the background too ;)

Edited by Crazyeights

Thanks crazy! I feel really lucky i was able to save this one, the lady crushed her last two brats she had which were an 82 and 79. To top it off she loaded both of their beds with old subaru parts like carbs, intakes, wheels, axles, trannys, even brat jump seats just so they would weigh more and she would make an extra .8 cents per pound. I tried my best to save what i could but just didn't have the space or the money. Such a shame.

My lifted loyale...i love that car, it has it's own build thread somewhere in here, check it out if you haven't seen it before.

• 3 weeks later...

IOlhzzU.jpgLook what I was fortunate enough to bring home! I had to go to Rawlins today for work and I promised the PO of my BRAT I would bring him his cd player and cd changer back to him out of the BRAT so he said, "well, mine as well take this rollbar back with you." I couldn't believe it! Luccccky. :)

Edited by Scooner
  • Like 2

Looking great my Northern Friend! Really piecing that thing together. I'm envious.. I'm an empty nester now. Son took the Loyale so now have no sweetie to work on :(  

Looks like I have some catching up to do. I'm sub-less for the first time in 10 years.. 

How hard to do the EJ as far as stuffing the motor mounts.  I'm starting to like the rounded headlight Gen 1's but I'm afraid of the EJ conversion. 

What's next on the Brat?  Let me know when you get ready to EJ her. I would love to help.

Stay Bratty 

DM

Sir Dave! Good to hear from you man! The brat is coming together quite well and I am just waiting for the water pump to come in to test out the weber carb I just put on it. I still don't know about the EJ swap, I might just do an weberized EA81 with a dual range. There would be just a little bit of modifying then if any. The dude that gave me the rollbar is also trading me a badass factory brush guard subaru bumper for the standard bumper on mine. You need a subie bro and fast. What's up with that white 2nd Gen Brat you showed me?