Ultimate Subaru Message Board

List of rims that can be used on older Subarus...

If it has not been done before, I wanted to start this thread, as I received an uncommon tip about what kind of rims, with or without slight modifications, that can be used/adapted to older Subarus...

We all know about Toyota 6 lug rims, and thankfully, I was told that it is possible to get 14" 6 lug Toyo rims, which is what I personally would prefer. I think standard 13" Subaru rims are  just too small, and 15" rims are more for off-road style, wheras I want to change habits and make my present Brat a street vehicle.

The tip I recently got was that you can use Peugeot rims, with the caveat that you might have to grind the center hole a little bit.

I did a quick google image search, and aside from a very, very few, like those below, most do not even have a hole in the center.

66649_zps03670393.jpg peugeotrims_zpsaa5704d2.jpg

These look like pretty standard designs anyway, so you could probably find rims that look this good that are meant for Subarus.

I personally have never really liked aluminum rims, but I don't mind exploring possibilites.

However, I think this may not be a good idea unless someone is capable of properly enlarging the center hole, without compromising either the Centering/balancing or structure and strength of the rim, IF they even had a hole, especially in aluminum rims.

For another example, there is this pic I found:

garage_gallery_1361293556B_zpsa05225b5.j garage_gallery_1361293556C_zpscaad6b6c.j

What are these? What are they from? I checked the website this picture came from, and I could not find any reference to what kind of rims these are. The guy did claim that the wheels were street legal. They look like 6 lug, but it also looks like not one of the lug holes matched! lol.  I would also figure that there might be centering and/or balancing issues. I think this is a case where maybe the guy had rims with tires and just made use of them, but I think it would have been better to just get some used 6 lug Toyo rims and drill two holes.

I have also been told that one could use ATV / ATC rims, but that sounds doubtful for a number of reasons, the fact that they would likely be pretty small in themselves being the first.  With typical tires,they might be great inthe sandor mud or snow, but would almost certainly not be street legal or even look street legal enough to pass casual scrutiny at a distant glance, lol

So, I thought I would start this thread as there are probably other rims out there that may be useful, if not really cool looking, with variations on the size of the rim/tire/wheel relationship, and expanding the selection of tires availablefor larger sized rims.

What have you other guys found or modified sucessfully, hopefully with minimum modifications, that the rest of us might be able to swing?

Edited by Subaruist

Those tractor wheels are probably from the front of a john deere 2010, 2020, 3010, etc. 5"x16." The won't have dot markings but they are a single piece tubeless rim and not a split rim

- Split rim ?!? - SPLIT RIM ?!? I would LOVE split rims!!! Are there such things as split rims that can be used, especially without modification ?!?

Just for curosity sake, I once wondered if I could take 2 sets of rims and cut them aroubd thier diameter and recombine in such a way as to make split rims...

The purpose would be foroff-roading, that if you used tubes, in a pinch, with a difficult flat or tear in the tire, where the usualmethods would be inadequate, you could take the rim apart and fix a flat via the tube; and/or otherwise, might also in the same way be able to fix a flat with tubeless tires if once you re-assembled the wheels, you could apply enough air to get the tire to seal to the rim. I have had to fix side-wall flats, when it was notsupposed to be possible, and once, out of desparation and lack of cash, and a lack of available tires,once a tire was removed, I actually sewed a tear closed with true rubber cement (not that 'sniff-proof' garbage they sell now-a-days) and kevlar cord. - I know, once ina million situation that never happens to anyone , and a type of repair that is not supposed to work, and one that almost nobody wouldever recommend doing under any circumstances, but the situation was what it was.

If that situation had happened in the middleo of nowhere, I'd be totally out of luck- unless of course, I had split rims.

When I previously inquired about this years ago, I was told that there would be 5 issues:

#1: Balance/Balancing - The rims would have to be cut precisely to have any hope of properly balancing them.

#2: Gasket - The two halves of the rims would have to be joined with some kind of gasket and/or sealer to prevent leaks from between them, which might be tricky if the spoke/star or similar style of rims were used.

#3: Resulting width - They could end-up being 1/8" to 1/4" wider than normal rims, assuming standard steel rims were used, which might not be too much of a problem, most tires would go on with no real difference. On the other hand, being a little wider would help with tubless tires to get the tire to seal against the rim when air was applied.

#4: Weight- That the resulting rims would weigh a little more than usual. But then again, they might also be a little stronger, both due to the center of the rim(s) essentially being twice as thick.

#5: Some tire shops might refuse to work on such rims, expecially if they could tell they were modified rims.

This would not necessarily be a model of efficiency of course, but if you could use split rims, fixing a difficult flat might be a real life-saver in a really bad situation.

Edited by Subaruist

- Split rim ?!? - SPLIT RIM ?!? I would LOVE split rims!!! Are there such things as split rims that can be used, especially without modification ?!?

YOU DON'T WANT SPLIT RIMS. If you don't know what your doing their extremely dangerous. That's why very few places will deal with split rims at tire places. Les schwab will if they have a tire cage in case it explodes. Some of the older guys will but that's about it. The only tires our farm brings to les schwab is the ones mounted on split rims like fork lifts, tractors, old dually rims, ect. Please watch both these videos they explain and show what happens better than i can.

YOU DON'T WANT SPLIT RIMS. If you don't know what your doing their extremely dangerous. That's why very few places will deal with split rims at tire places. Les schwab will if they have a tire cage in case it explodes. Some of the older guys will but that's about it. The only tires our farm brings to les schwab is the ones mounted on split rims like fork lifts, tractors, old dually rims, ect. Please watch both these videos they explain and show what happens better than i can.

You had me going there for a minute....

In neither video was the incident due to the fact that the rimswere split rims that in any way failed or were defective, etc.

Both videos concerned very large, hgh-pressure wheels with multiple piece split rims, consisting of 3 or more pieces, which are nothing like whatI  am talking about at all.

In the first video, it was a test, and the explosion was due to intentional over inflation, the over inflation was done intentionally to deliberately cause the explosion, in order to demonstrate the protective cage.

In the second video, every incident had to do with worker or procedural errors, and the only defect had to do with individual bolts (48 in all) in a very large, high-pressure specialized rim and wheel for a large specialized peice of heavy equipment, with 48 - that's 48 bolts holding it together, and once again, is was an error on the part of the worker taking the wrong bolts out in the wrong way.

We'er talking about small wheels with 13" - 14" inch rims on (or off) a Subaru,with normal/common range of pressure.

What happened in the videos above would be virtually impossible with this, with the one exception being if they were not watching what they were doing, and let the pressure continue to fill the tire without ever checking it, and even then ANY tire would explode if you did that, and even then, it would be the TIRE itself exploding, and not the rim.

You have done a very good job of convincing me to never have anything to do with, or be anywhere near large, high pressure wheels/tires from heavy equipment being serviced though.

Puegot wheels bolt right on.

I've never heard of anyone having to enlarge anything.

All the ones I've seen all have hole in the center.

I did a google image search, and the VAST majority of Peugeot rims I saw had no hole in the center, but who knows, maybe the results were not accurate.

It is good to know that they will bolt right on. The only problem is that Peugeots are not very common, and spare sets of used Peugeot rims are even less common or available, although I am sure they could be found and bought new.

What I don't understand is why they would name a car after such a common bird as a Pidgeon, and then mis-spell the name. ( Lol...)

How do you pronounce that anyway? Pid-giot? Pew-giot? - like in Puget Sound, WA? (Just kidding)

Stil looking for any other coincidences in any rims at all that can be bolted onto an older Subaru with little or no modifications.....

I still like the idea of split-rim tractor rims, but I assume that they wouldnotfit regular street tires...

I did a google image search, and the VAST majority of Peugeot rims I saw had no hole in the center, but who knows, maybe the results were not accurate.

It is good to know that they will bolt right on. The only problem is that Peugeots are not very common, and spare sets of used Peugeot rims are even less common or available, although I am sure they could be found and bought new.

What I don't understand is why they would name a car after such a common bird as a Pidgeon, and then mis-spell the name. ( Lol...)

How do you pronounce that anyway? Pid-giot? Pew-giot? - like in Puget Sound, WA? (Just kidding)

Stil looking for any other coincidences in any rims at all that can be bolted onto an older Subaru with little or no modifications.....

I still like the idea of split-rim tractor rims, but I assume that they wouldnotfit regular street tires...

It isn't that hard to take a tire of a rim with a large tire tool (spoon) and another large bar wedged through the middle.

Seat the bead with starting fluid after mounting

there is no reason to want or need split rims for a subaru.

And it's pronounced    "Poo-show"

As for center hole I think you are seeing the Center caps.....they remove.  Although google does bring up pics of newer european puegeot rims with smaller bolt circle and some of them may not have centers....but they are not correct for subaru bolt pattern any how.

Edited by Gloyale

Purr zhow (as in show, not as in how)  did steel rims, and from what I can recall, some of the older rims from the 70's and 80's that a few French cars had just a hub cap securing captive nut in the rim centre - no hole for old fashioned tyre fitting stands - or Subie hubs

Running a set of first pic on my 84 Brumby with no mods - other than repaint and 4x4brat xcellent repro wheel nuts styled on the original dimension pug nuts

The comments about the 'center hole' size of Peugeot rims is related to the steel  504 and 505 rims. Both series bolt on without problems. There are some variations of lug nuts. The concern with the 504 steel rims is a problem installing them onto current tire balancing machines. The center hole has to be enlarged ( match the 505 diameter ) or you have to locate a tire service company that has equipment to balance the 504 rims.

Enlarge the hole.

If you drive on pavement, alloy rims.

If you go off road, steel rims.

The comments about the 'center hole' size of Peugeot rims is related to the steel  504 and 505 rims. Both series bolt on without problems. There are some variations of lug nuts. The concern with the 504 steel rims is a problem installing them onto current tire balancing machines. The center hole has to be enlarged ( match the 505 diameter ) or you have to locate a tire service company that has equipment to balance the 504 rims.

Enlarge the hole.

If you drive on pavement, alloy rims.

If you go off road, steel rims.

Even on pavement, an impact against a curb ( lol ) or even a pothole can destrot alloy rims, and a broken rim can cause serious damage when that sid eof the front end comes crashing down - to the whole front end and especially the hub assembly on that side, the oil pan, etc. etc.

If I was desparate to get fancy, either I wuld paint the steel rims creatively, or get them chrome plated. I think the old star/spoke style steel rims would look cool chromed. - Let me guess, you can;t chrome-plate rims for some reason, right?  - I mean....that's about how it usually foes with my dearest ideas, lol...

I know how Peugeot ort whatever it isis pronounced, but it looks like Pidgiot to me, lol.

- Like that other thing, named after your patio with an awning - what is it... a Porch... Porche? Porsha? whatever... lol

- oh and those really cool sports cars the english so love - tha Jag - U - Ars.... lol...

Just swap to 6 lug hubs and you will have thousands of wheel choices after that.  No weird modifications, just any standard 6x5.5" wheel will have no issue working.

Yes. I know.... you're right, and that is probably just what I will do, but I wanted to explore the possibilities to the fullest.

I was also wondering about rims to a Ford Fiesta - they look similar, although I bet they are too small.

Edited by Subaruist

• 1 month later...

Apparently there are other possibilities as well, according to this website's references...

http://www.crawlpedia.com/bolt_patterns.htm

Also, this one is also quite helpful:

http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-rods-rat-rods/Wheel-Bolt-Pattern-Cross-Reference-Database.asp?LugCount=6&StudSpreadInch=&StudSpreadMM=139.7#axzz3Jk1oCOEI

In this one, I found that pugging in 6 lug X 139.7mm yielded results - I think .3 millimeters is a forgivable tolerance, lol...

The real issue would be the center bore hole size I guess...

I continue to re-evaluate the prospect of having b=hubs re-drilled for 6lug, but aside from the xtra expense, being that I do not plan on owning more than one set of rims for the next several years, I feel that it, even if in a small way weakens the hubs, with the 4 additional holes/studs, and the two resulting unused stud holes. I would rather drill into the rims, as even in a rare possibility of some impact tweeking something, I would rather tweek the rims than the hubs.

Edited by Subaruist

learn how to bus your own tires and you wont need split rims

and always carry a plug kit and compresor or can of fix a flat i have 4 plugs in one hole in my side wall its holding for over a year now no problem

I have all the stuff to fix a flat. Split rims at this time of my life would be a preference, in previous years when I was a chronic off-roader, I would have given my ( - - deleted - - )  for split rims, lol..

Otherwise, what you have in that video -Nope. I my life depended on t, I guess I would, but I would exhaust every other possibility first or instead of that, lol...

Edited by Subaruist

Lol, I'm sorry but anyone who has changed a tire on a split rim is laughing at you. No offense but split rims are out dated the only reason for a split rim is so you can run old bias plie tires, there is absoluty no reason to have a split rim with a radial tire

Les schwab won't touch split rim tires anymore because of how dangerous they are. They will make you buy new rims

Edited by mikaleda
  • Like 1

Lol, I'm sorry but anyone who has changed a tire on a split rim is laughing at you. No offense but split rims are out dated the only reason for a split rim is so you can run old bias plie tires, there is absoluty no reason to have a split rim with a radial tire

Les schwab won't touch split rim tires anymore because of how dangerous they are. They will make you buy new rims

Only people who have not off-roaded and flatted more than one tire hudreds of miles away from anywhere are laughing.

When you have already used your spare beacuse your first tire was shredded, and on the way out/back have another serious flat that cannot be fixed with the usual methods, a split rim means you can take the tire off the rim fairly easily and do an improvised repair that you otherwise simply would not have been ableto do.

I had to do that once, without the benefit of split rims, where I had to get the tire off the rim and literally sew a sidewall tear back together and glue a patch with counter top cement (the only rubber based glue worth a damn anymore) onto the inside of the tire over it to be sure it would hold. Split rims would have made that job half as hard and twice as fast.

You are welcome to your opinion, but I've lived the reality, and if I were off-roading like I used to, I would love a set of split rims.

They can be life savers in a very bad situation.