Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Legacy Wagon - Raxdio & Heater Issues - Advice Please

Need some guidance on where to start with the issues listed below for "Brownie," my 1990 Legacy Wagon.  She runs like a top, 256K miles, but is starting to have a series of cascading interior issues I need some advice on.

• Radio.  Works intermittantly.  Goes out if you go over a bump, if it happens to be working at that moment.  Most of the time sound is VERY faint, despite the volume.  Speakers work intermittantly as well.  
  • Heater/fan/blower.  Same thing - intermittant at best.  Doesn't work about 98% of the time, but sometimes she'll surprise you.

Re: radio, would it make sense to just fork out the cash to just get a whole new system, or might this be an easy fix?

I use Brownie as my daily driver to and from work (6 miles each way), & I miss listening to the radio, and with winter coming, I miss the heat as well.  Brownie is my work horse, while Ruby, my 2003 Legacy Wagon, rests at home. 

I'm a 53-year old gal, who likes to do some of the work myself, but I also know my limits!   

Thanks.

PixieHall

P.S.  Can't figure out how to edit title - should be "Radio" and not "Raxdio." 

Edited by PixieHall

Fairly sure any subaru radio from the 1990s and even into the 2000s will  be a plug and play. Double din radios swap into single din holes just by removing that tray under the single din radio. Probably also want to look at the speakers because I bet they all need replaced. 

As for the heater problem, lots of possible causes. I would run a hot wire to the fan motor just to see of the motor is the problem. 

Edit: If you decide to swap radios, the trim piece needs pulled. Pull the ash tray and look up. Should be 2 small screws. Need a really short screwdriver to remove. 

Edited by john in KY

if it is the stock radio, then yeah, it is time for a replacement. as noted above, you can go single DIN or double DIN by losing the little pocket tray underneath the stock unit - your choice.

for the heater controls - it is possible you have some cracked solder joints in there (fairly common issue) I had that problem with my 90 LS wagon. I got adventurous with mine, pulled the unit out, took it apart and hit the main solder joints with a hot, fine tip soldering iron. Wasnt all that difficult a job. or you can try replacing it with one from a lower mileage car - I may even have a spare laying around here somewhere if you are in need

Edited by heartless
  • Like 1