Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi....newbe to ur site here.....im looking for some info....the woman next door just bought a new outback wagon to replace the one she has driven for the past 10 years here in new england.....she wants to send her old one to the retirement home

She has in florida......i offered to get it there for her,seeing i drive down once a year myself to visit my own retired relatives.....can i safley remove the rear drive shaft and dolly it two up....or am i going to half to go full trailor..

can i safley remove the rear drive shaft and dolly it two up....or am i going to half to go full trailor..

generally speaking yes, this is acceptable.

but it may depend on the year of the car being towed.

i can't imagine an 05 would have a limitation, but i do not know.

towing as described is correct for the 90 - 04 AWD cars.

what year outback.?

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys......it seems the more research i do....the more spcific i need to get.....

kinda funny ...i see the car everyday...and never really thought about it till now....

i will get the real numbers tonight...and post ....thanks all

Ok an update.....its a 2009 forester ...its the pzev 2.5 automatic....

The driveshaft appears accessable.....question is ....does it unbolt or slide out of the tranny....i could not see the trans end ...she was not home and i could only look under from the rear....if it slides out will there be fluid leakage to count for....

ok just ignore me if this doesn't apply.   but :    the long driveshaft goes to the rear where there is a bearing of some kind.   After that bearing is a short shaft to the rear differential.  Unbolt the short shaft from the long shaft.   You don't need to do anything with the tranny.

• Like 2

this little bit of info helped me also. I am moving to cocoa beach, Fla this comming wednesday the 29th of october. i'mprobobly going to tow my 96 outback down. There is a good amount of $ difference from a dolly to the full car trailor. All I need is 2 unbolt and wire shaft out of way. so kool

ty

• Like 1