Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Forester Front Transfer Case - where do you check?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JOEK39

JOEK39

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Upstate NY (Albany)

Posted 14 May 2004 - 10:44 PM

OK. 2001 Forester with AT. Owners manual says there is a dipstick for the FRONT transfer case oil level, even shows a little picture showing the location and shape of the dipstick top - just off the firewall, on passenger side, looks to be indicting down low.

I'll be darned if I can find it! I'm very good on cars, and this is driving me nuts.

I can see the transfer case, and don't see any dipstick coming off it. There is an AT fluid dipstick on the other side of the engine compartment, and the rear transfer case oil level is the conventional 2-hole design. Don't see any holes on the front case.

Any chance this is a typo in the owner's manual and its a sealed unit?

Maybe a change from the 2000 to 2001 model year ?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks! - Joe

#2 THAWA

THAWA

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 348 posts
  • Sac

Posted 15 May 2004 - 02:56 AM

I think you mean differential. The dipstick should be there for it. It's funny that usually people see the diff dipstick before the ATF dipstick. I dunno what to tell ya, but just look over there in that area. It's not that low on the tranny case. The hook should be about at the hieght of the top the tranny maybe a lil higher.

#3 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 15 May 2004 - 07:39 AM

The dipstick is pretty short, with the loop being maybe two inches above the top of the tranny IIRC.

#4 Commuter

Commuter

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • Niagara area, Ont Canada

Posted 15 May 2004 - 09:38 AM

On my 97 OB, it is obscured from your line of vision by a few bundles of cables. It is right where you described. Almost straight down from the firewall. You have to get your head into just the right position to see it. The loop on the end is yellow I believe on my car. I suspect you are looking "too" low.

Commuter

#5 JOEK39

JOEK39

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Upstate NY (Albany)

Posted 15 May 2004 - 04:44 PM

FOUND THE LITLE SUCKER!

Thanks for everyone's help, there was just one sight angle to spot it - and I did need to manuever between lots of cable bundles to get to it.

Couldn't of done it without (all of) you.

Thanks again,

- Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users