Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester Front Transfer Case - where do you check?

OK. 2001 Forester with AT. Owners manual says there is a dipstick for the FRONT transfer case oil level, even shows a little picture showing the location and shape of the dipstick top - just off the firewall, on passenger side, looks to be indicting down low.

I'll be darned if I can find it! I'm very good on cars, and this is driving me nuts.

I can see the transfer case, and don't see any dipstick coming off it. There is an AT fluid dipstick on the other side of the engine compartment, and the rear transfer case oil level is the conventional 2-hole design. Don't see any holes on the front case.

Any chance this is a typo in the owner's manual and its a sealed unit?

Maybe a change from the 2000 to 2001 model year ?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks! - Joe

I think you mean differential. The dipstick should be there for it. It's funny that usually people see the diff dipstick before the ATF dipstick. I dunno what to tell ya, but just look over there in that area. It's not that low on the tranny case. The hook should be about at the hieght of the top the tranny maybe a lil higher.

On my 97 OB, it is obscured from your line of vision by a few bundles of cables. It is right where you described. Almost straight down from the firewall. You have to get your head into just the right position to see it. The loop on the end is yellow I believe on my car. I suspect you are looking "too" low.

Commuter

FOUND THE LITLE SUCKER!

Thanks for everyone's help, there was just one sight angle to spot it - and I did need to manuever between lots of cable bundles to get to it.

Couldn't of done it without (all of) you.

Thanks again,

- Joe