Ultimate Subaru Message Board

which subaru to drive .2.0?2.5?

So I work in a junkyard and there are 2 cars Here I can commute 100 miles a day with.a 96 legacy wag base model 2.0 its dependable but has a vibration at speed sometimes.maybe drive shaft.175,000. Or a 95 outback 2.5 176000 miles.it runs great and is loaded .doesnt seem to have any antifreeze issues except maybe a miss when it's first started for a few seconds.I don't know any history on either car.I put 3000 miles on the legacy and 100 miles on the outback.im leaning for the outback.better in the snow and power door locks etc.opinions please?

96 2.2 is the better engine.

The 95 should also have the same 2.2 unless it's an early 96 with auto trans.  The 2.5 DOHC Head Gaskets fail often.  2.2 is much better and easier to work on.  

Don't take my word, pull a spark plug out of each engine.  By the time your done you'll have your answer.

a 2.5 in a junk yard is a scary monster, i'd go for the other one if it is indeed a 2.5.   but a base 2.2 also leaves a little to be desired in terms of seats, power gadgets, etc.

will they let you swap the 1996 engine into the 1995!?  lol

2.0 engine was never offered in the US - did you mean 2.2?

2.5 was not offered in 1995 - did you mean a 1995 Ej22 or a 1996 EJ25?

Edited by grossgary

yea i meant 2.2 .... i drove the outback home today. its a much nicer ride on the highway.the outback is  def a 2.5 and i get ya with the spark plugs.  i solved my problem! i took both home lol. ill drive the outback till something goes wrong and then move on to the legacy 2.2

i should put the outback struts on the legacy lol. im actually surprised cause the outback is loaded but it doesnt have power door locks. i want power door locks! :-)

Edited by auto2

Drop the 2.2 into the Outback when the 2.5 goes.

oh that sounds like WORK! yuck lol   i topped off the rad on the 2.5 (was a pint low)  overflow was almost full ( not a good sign unless previous owner did it) and drove 50 miles. gonna check it out in a few .

yea it was still full, got a few ounces in it before it was up to the overflow tube.

Edited by auto2

Won't fix this HG fault and makes a mess of the Rad and Heater core for the person that does fix it.

1 day to swap the eng and you can

- Seal the rear Breather plate

- Change the plugs and valve cover gasketd

- Tbelt, cam&crank seals, Oil pump reseal.

Done for the next 80K

Edited by lmdew