Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 subaru brat at a crossroad

Hello everyone!

First a little history.. i acquired my Brat from my sister who was the original owner about 5+ or so years ago.. I drove it for a couple years then the clutch went out ... and a lot of things and hands got involved at that point.. my older boys..other ideas..etc... long story short.. it has sat in pieces in my shop for 3 years or better.. till now.. nothing gets ya moving like a deadline.. cuz i kinda promised my ten year old that i would have it for him when he turns 16.. well he is 15 now and will be 16 next  Feb.

So where am i at... i have recently acquired not 1 but 2 DR 5spd transmissions..if  1 is no good.. i have another.. i am funny that way... I have acquired all the appropriate pieces in a box and am sending them off to Jerry  on Monday to do his magic and then i will install the 5spd that says it only has 60K miles on it.. and put the other one on a shelf next to my original 4spd.. i have bought all new axles and bearings as well as brake parts .. figure might as well replace while i am there.

So the crossroad... Jerry is quite the source of info.. he is fun to talk to.. and on all 3 occasions that i have spoken to him to make sure that i am getting the right stuff for this job, he has made it clear that i can put an EJ22 right into my Brat without any trouble at all.. My plan was to stick with the original EA81.. mine unfortunately is in about a million pieces in several boxes.. mixed together with pieces from an EA82 that my older boys found.  So finally the question.. I can order a rebuilt EA81 from Colorado Components.. figure about 2500 by the time i buy it..install it and other accessories.. Or go EJ route.. can i get an EJ22 installed with the wiring harness .. ready to roll for about the same or less $.. and have a long lasting trustworthy investment?

Thanks for your time:

Kevin

I can't give you cost comparisons, but because it's a Brat I would stick with the EA81. I like the little buggers, simple and bullet proof. I wouldn't EJ my '85 Brat, but I would consider it for my '84 wagon if I ever needed a new motor. That's just me.

and how old is the EJ ? saw an RS Libert wagon with 465,000km on it the other day. ragged, looking thing, blew a water pump bearing, timing belt slipped, valves bent, probably all sixteen of them too.

What sort of magic is Jerry working ? To be able to fit the EA82 5 speed DR boxes ? behind EA or EJ ?

There is a difference and you'd ned to know, rather, Jerry would need to know before he does anything, surely ?

An A 81 or 82 will do a sixteen year old, make sure he sees 17, 18 .....

An A 81 or 82 will do a sixteen year old, make sure he sees 17, 18 .....

Very, Very good point.

Ej swap is ALOT of horsepower for a light little Brat the handles questionably already.  It's easy to hit 100 VERY quickly in my EJ22 wagon.....I've been driving 20 years now.......Looking back, I definately would have wrecked it when I was 16.

Something to consider for sure.

A fully rebuilt EA81 would be a solid investment for sure.

On the other hand EJ swap (maybe an EJ18 to keep it reasonable?) is a solid choice too...but getting a good fresh one installed and reliably fitted with adapter, flywheel, and wiring, fuel line upgrade, fuel pump, exhaust all done is a large project.......doing that for less than a good EA81 would be tough.

What sort of magic is Jerry working ? To be able to fit the EA82 5 speed DR boxes ? behind EA or EJ ?

There is a difference and you'd ned to know, rather, Jerry would need to know before he does anything, surely ?

Jerry is just making a shifter and hi/lo rod for the 5spd conversion.  He does a "kit" which allows keeping all the original EA81 shift levers.

Hey thanks for the time on this... great community here.. gotta say the comments that are hitting home all revolve around keeping a 16 year old safe on the road plus .. keeping the Brat as close to original as i can.. so that pretty much gets it... EA81 it is.. now the hard part.. which is parting with a bunch of money for a motor... i guess i am leaning towards Colorado components... i am not gonna rebuild one... i feel pretty good about bolting stuff on .. changing things out with some guidance.. but i don't feel qualified to rebuild a motor.. so unless someone knows of someone around here.. i will making a call on monday to colorado..

Watch the for sale section often.. A good used wouldn't be a bad way to go either. plus they tend to come with things like a spare distributor and such.. If that doesnt pan out you are only into it $150 and spare parts when you go for a rebuilt.  Thats how I would do it.. There are many places and people that are local to help you out if/when you get stuck. 

Where in Oregon are you?   Several old-school Soobie shops around.   I'm sure they could put your old EA81 back together.  They surely know where all the bits and pieces go.   No mistaking a head bolt.

For sure, go with an EA81.    Make sure you get the boy involved with the build.  He will appreciate the knowledge and experience he gets. They don't teach auto shop in HS anymore.   And he will probably 'respect' the Brat a bit more   (read won't wreck it).

I am in Clatskanie.. just across the bridge from Longview , wa... Dustin is involved.. when he is not  fishing.. football ...basketball.. baseball... hanging out with his girlfriend.. etc..  and pretty much in that order... I just now in fact went ahead and ordered the motor from CCR..  but once i get it and the tranny stuff back from Jerry.. i am gonna order the weber kit also.. I will have Dustin take pics.. and will put something on here to share.. also now kicking around lug swap... would like to  improve on wheel selection... searching that issue on here now!

The easiest lug swap is in the products for you subaru section..  Mattsgl I think is the name.  It is really simple and the price is fair. Otherwise you will need to hunting down rare parts that are crazy expensive or impossible to find.  Something more involved would be to use Scottinbellinghams service and have your hubs redrilled for a 6 lugs.  That is it unless you know of a machine shop that can reproduce or create something else.