Ultimate Subaru Message Board

under dash fuse box missing?

post-55463-0-24756500-1413685128_thumb.jpg Me and a friend recently purchased a 1982 Subaru DL hatch. Engine runs when you hook a bottle of gas to the carb. We don't have power at the fuel pump. But we have about 15 connectors that don't go anywhere under the hood. Does anybody have an idea as to what is is? Maybe some sort of voltage regulator 

post-55463-0-09853000-1413686412_thumb.jpg

Edited by Micahthehondatech

Most of those connectors are for A/C relays and controls. Nothing it that area is fuel pump related.

Subaru used one wiring harness for all vehicles basically, lots of unused connectors can be found.

Your '82 has an internally regulated alternator.

There is a Fuel Pump Control Unit (FPCU) mounted above the hood release handle. Kind of a pain to get to.

If you search for FPCU on here, you should find quite a bit of info, as it comes up from time to time.

We followed the fuel pump wire all the way into an under hood connection. Using a test light at the fuel pump connection at the back we jumped power to the under hood connection with it unplugged, when the key is at start we get power like we should. With it plugged in though there is no power. Also the ignition coil wire is in that connection. So with it unplugged yes our pump works but we get no fire.

I know the connector you found. Found same one in my '82 BRAT.

Previous owner had hacked into the fuel pump wiring and installed a toggle switch. I repaired that mess and proceeded to hunt down cause of pump not running. Mine is a California Model thus it has (had) an engine computer along with the FPCU.

Did the same as you with test light and hot wire to trace out the wiring, and found a wire that would power the fuel pump.

I made it work, but it wasn't right. And definitely wasn't the safe way to do it

Have you checked the fuel pump to see it it has continuity? You may have a bad fuel pump. Also if this car has sat for any length of time, and the fuel pump is good, you may want to run a hot wire to the fuel pump, and have the line at the carb empty out to a bucekt and make sure there is no junk in the line.