Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who Designed the Subaru Brat, specifically?

I used to know this, but have forgotton.

I know the Leone had a designer, but I think it was someone else who adapted/modified the design for the Subaru Brat.

Who was it? I want his name on my Brat when I paint it! - along with the designation NCC 1701-Q, lol

Found :

Alex Tremulis ( born January 23, 1914 in Chicago, Illinois, United States - December 29, 1991 in Ventura, California ) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Tremulis

Alex founded his own consulting firm in Ann Arbor, Michigan 1963. Among Tremulis’ last designs were the 1978 to 1987 Subaru BRAT.

Cheers, Bantum ... B)

Edited by Bantum
  • Like 1

Found :

Cheers, Bantum ... B)

WOW !!!

I could have sworn it was a Japanese gentleman, but you know what this means?!?...

The Subaru Brat is an AMERICAN Design !!!

A legendary design by a legendary designer !

This is wonderful !!!

Edited by Subaruist

Um, I don't know if he can claim to be the sole designer, as it was more likely a collaborative effort between Subaru USA & Japan ... ^_^

( Australia also had a hand in it too, with the Brumby ) 

+ You'll find it difficult to get any info on early Japanese Designers, so will post more when I find it.

Cheers, Bantum ... :)

Edited by Bantum

I love it!!!

The Subaru Brat, one of the funnest, coolest looking vehicles ever made, was made by a Japanese company, but by (orwith) and American designer, for almost anyone but the Japanese, and was never sold in Japan !!!

I'm sure that a few somehow made thier way to Japan via their owners, but otherwise, I bet the Japanese would love a nice, customised Brat!

I also bet that Japanese girls would go nuts over them!

- I know quite a few American girls are impressed with them!

What a wonderful vehicle!...

Edited by Subaruist

OK, something going off in my head then ....down here, we have people saying best way to turbo an EA81 model is use a rare EA81 MY engine cross member.

Well, where my brain starts to hurt is that if a turbo EA81 engine cross member came from a USDM - it would have a hole in it for the steering column to pass through in an impractical location.

I was thinking before that any EA81T engine cross member in use in Oz, would have been a JDM sourced component.

No one down under has suggested once we got a x mem we;d have to also knock a steering hole in it.!

hurt, hurt....

Also found this : vimeo.com/69031389

Parts of it seems a bit weird, but hey it’s got a BRAT in it … ;)

Add : + this was Walt Biggers car ...

Cheers, Bantum ...

That's a neat video thanks for sharing. The description says Walt Biggers was the guys grandfather. The video is a bit weird but it's so upbeat, energetic and the connection between the two of them looks so strong and genuine I watched it several times. They have a bunch of other non-Brat related videos too. It looks like they moved to Japan to be missionaries in 2012 so I'm guessing they sold the Brat? Edited by porcupine73

OK, something going off in my head then ....down here, we have people saying best way to turbo an EA81 model is use a rare EA81 MY engine cross member.

Well, where my brain starts to hurt is that if a turbo EA81 engine cross member came from a USDM - it would have a hole in it for the steering column to pass through in an impractical location.

I was thinking before that any EA81T engine cross member in use in Oz, would have been a JDM sourced component.

No one down under has suggested once we got a x mem we;d have to also knock a steering hole in it.!

hurt, hurt....

A bit off topic??? Wrong forum??? oh well... lol...

• 4 months later...

A bit off topic??? Wrong forum??? oh well... lol...

off topic ?? Maybe only if I had added the reasons I posted - reading that the BRAT was never sold in Japan - a right hand drive market that I thought actually got the turbo EA81 BRAT [seems it did not] , so then my brain was asking about source then of a RHD EA81T engine cross member that some on another forum have suggested be sourced to do a turbo conversion. Was it only the US that got EA81T ?

Nice vid. Wonder if they are still together :)

Found :

Alex Tremulis ( born January 23, 1914 in Chicago, IllinoisUnited States - December 29, 1991 in Ventura, California ) : http://en.wikipedia....i/Alex_Tremulis

Alex founded his own consulting firm in Ann Arbor, Michigan 1963. Among Tremulis’ last designs were the 1978 to 1987 Subaru BRAT.

Cheers, Bantum ... B)

Ann Arbor... What a great city  :D  :D  :D

Edited by comatosellama