Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A New Journey With Guido

So, i have been on the board for a while.  I have had many adventures with my subaru.  But i feel its personal attachment to me over the years has made me switch gears.  It has been my daily driver, my offroad toy, and now backup vehicle.  I have come to a crossroads after the last offroading adventure.  Not out of any disrespect from the jeep guys but my vehicle will not keep up with them.  And insidently i beat the hell out of it trying to.  The car means to much to me to do this, not that i dont want to offroad anymore but not with this.  So i have starting removing the lift and the offroad tires.  

All that being said, quietly over the past 5 years i have been plotting and hatching a plan on where i wanted this car to go.  Now before i tell you my plan i love my car, i love it.  I love subarus and i can without a shadow of a doubt tell you that i feel these and the earlier ones before them are one of the greatest vehicles every made.  I personally feel these are the true essence of subaru.  I like the imprezas and the legacys but these cars were designed to be good in all weather and be fuel efficent.  My mind will never be changed on that thinking.  And i would hate to ruin what was in my opinion a great design of a great car.  But im going to.  With all due respect to the fellows before me who have put wrx, sti, svx, and other engine and trans configurations into these cars im coming up with a whole new plan.  The V8 swap has been discuss around here from time to time but i dont think anyone was either crazy enough, or capable enough, or rich enough to move forward with this.  

So my plan is to strip the car of what i dont need and can sell for extra money.  I have my ls engine and t5 already sourced but i may hold off on purchaseing because i want to get the suspension grafted onto the car.  With the research ive done on track width i can use either mustang or camaro parts.  Im torn between a solid axle rear end or independent for what im wanting to do with the car.  I fully expect the car to have 400hp to the wheels when im done.  I may also look into mustang 2 front end components but my plan is to purchase a whole car to source most of my parts on.  

This is not a joke or an attention seeking plan of action.  Its going to take me a few years and lord knows ill probably change my mind of which engine or rear end i want to get in there.  I love my car and want to take it to the next level.  I now start my adventure and im shareing it with all of you.

A journey of 1000 miles begin with a single step.

10486657_10204112374837050_5427727161312

I was debating on wanting to go irs or solid axle.  I have looked at other foreign manufactures as well as possible replacements.  My biggest problem is the direction i want to go with the car.  I think im going to do this in stages and remove what i can out of the rear of the car first.  Get that figured out so technically i can still drive it or move it for a year.  Then make the big push for the front end and have it tied in together before the engine and trans go in.  I may try to track down another rust free wagon during this time so i have lots of good body parts to use as replacements.

i have the same troybuilt 6.75 hp mower. good unit

Funny story about that.  My mother in law bought that for me used at a garage sale.  She knows nothing about mowers and from the side of town i grew up on when you get a garage sale mower its usually a pile.  When i saw it for the first time i was honestly suprised how nice it was.  The self propel system didnt work but ill be dammed if it didnt start on the first pull.  Turns out the guy who bought it quit using it after the self propel system broke and just hired a yard service to mow his yard. Thing was only a year old. Has been the best mower ive ever had.

Go for it. I've thought a few times about stuffing a 4.9 Cadillac in one with a 5 speed from an S10. I already have one in my '85 Pontiac Fiero in place of the old duke 4 banger. The Cad is aluminum block and actually the same weight as the duke. It make for a snappy car.

Funny you mention that ive got a 3.8sc fiero project on the back burner.

Also the first gen rx7 rear is 3.91 gear ratio

Just make sure you use an Alloy V8 so it has a chance of actually handling good, And yes go for it.

You could always do something really rare considering the ties between Nissan and Subaru in the early days and import a Nissan President V8 and fit one of those which were a Japanese Hemi knockoff, Now that would really make people wonder.

• Like 1

Believe it or not im kind of lost between which rout to go.  I want simplicity and of course with simplicity comes less cost.  I have done a fair amount of research and alot of fox body components will fit the track width.  I could do something as simple as a ford 8.8 with the ford k member and put pretty much whatever engine i want in there.  Ford, chevy, whatever.  Run a simple muncie 4 speed with a carb motor.  I want to keep it small block because i want it to fit relatively well under the hood.  But then theres the go boldly where no one has gone before rout.  And thats where the jaguar suspension comes in.  Taking the suspension from a v12 jaguar and using the front suspension and rear irs components.  Then using the all to popular LS engine option for gobs of power hooked up to a t56.  That rout is more expensive in the engine and electrical route.  For reliability id like to keep it a N/A car.  I think 400 wheel hp in a 3000lb car would be pretty good.