Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Legacy Wagon Offroad Mod Tips Needed

SubaruNOOBaru

Hello,

I am a total rookie at being a gearhead or modding a car.  Honestly I just work with computers.  But I did see that there are baja mods for 1995 legacy models and I saw a pic of someones modded outback with a Forester suspension.  

I have googled for parts and don't get the exact years that I am looking for so the things I need to understand are what works with what.  If any of you have experience and knowledge on this I would love to get your feedback so I know I am looking at the right parts to invest in so I can put them on my Wagon to make it more offroad and SUV styled. 

Below is a list of what i have searched out and need feedback on if anyone knows if these will fit my car.

PS this is not just for looks for me, I would like this thing to be able to handle going down back roads and use it for living out in the country.

Shopping list for my 1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon.

1997 Subaru Forester Suspension

Or

1998 Subaru Outback Springs and struts

Underbraces, is there something tailored for this model vehicle or is what I found workable?  http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/Cusco/Suspension/Under_Braces/Version_II/6993

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/performanceparts/subaru/Legacy/Suspension/Lower_Frame_Braces

Are 16" wheels too big for this model car even if I am raising it up with a different suspension?  http://www.jcwhitney.com/allied-wheel-components-raceline-rockcrusher-series-887-wheel/p3043268.jcwx?skuId=981724&filterid=c3829d1939y1995g2u0j1

I seem to have to have a custom made brushguard since I can't find anything for this car or maybe I didn't google the right terms

What exactly is your intention with the car? You said " I would like this thing to be able to handle going down back roads and use it for living out in the country." Unless you find yourself needing more ground clearance the stock suspension will do just fine.These cars are rallied afterall, so the suspension is fairly stout.However, with that being said it might be worth while to pull the carpeting and interior panels to make sure rust hasn't compromised the structure of the car with it being an east coast car and all.

I wouldn't worry about under braces per say,and instead worry about putting a decent skid plate on it if it doesn't already have one.

Those wheels WILL NOT WORK with yours or any other subaru I know of because they are 8 lug. :).

I don't have alot of experience with the EJ series cars, so I can't point you toward struts but someone will be along shortly who can help you out on that.

Edited by Uberoo
  • Like 1

Uberoo,

Thanks for the reply.    This car will be traveling back roads time to time.  Some of which are just a dirt trail that is in neglect, or even ones that turn in to streams during rainy weather.  Nothing like your standard roads.  Some of it is rocky and some of it gets torn to hell by larger vehicles using the roads.  

Is there a better setup for the wheels that I should look into?  I don't intend on going mudding but standard road/highway tires I doubt will cut it.

The wheels you linked to wont fit.  The ones you linked to are 8 lug.  You will need to find 5x100mm.  The suspension you listed should give you a little lift and then just find some smallish tires to fit.  I would suggest BF Goodrich T/A KOs or General Grabber AT2s.  Size would depend on what size wheel you chose.  I would look at a 15" for the best assortment of tires.

• Like 1

Avoid the factory style steel wheels because they are not strong,either go with alloy wheels(factory or aftermarket) or aftermarket steel wheels.As far as tires go a good set of LT all terrains will work and hold up great for everything you want.Just make sure its an "LT" tire and not P rated,because P rated tires will have weaker sidewalls.

Don't forget a skidplate.You can make a stock one off an 80's subaru fit with a little mods, or you can get a super bling skidplate from Primitive Racing for $$$.Some people don't run skidplates because they reduce ground clearance slightly,but if your on a gravel road at speed and you come around a blind corner and there is a rock right there you will be glade you had one.Not to mention when your offroad its nice to not worry about protecting that spot and you can just focus on driving.I have a 87 dodge dakota that I sometimes explore offroad trails with,and the whole time I worry about ripping the plastic front air dam off or puncturing the plastic fuel tank.With a skidplate as long as its not a major impact like a watermelon sized rock at 50 MPH you don't have to worry about it. 

• Like 1

If you are looking for a cheap and easy upgrade for bombing down gravel roads than go with the struts, factory lift blocks, and rims from an early Outback.  It's a direct bolt in vs. the Forester set up.  The Primitive skid plate is well worth the money (I have one on my rally car) but for your purposes an old sign would do. For tires you can go up to a 205/75/15 without any clearance issues.

Check out this thread for more info.  http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/118004-the-unofficial-how-to-lift-your-impreza-thread/

• Like 1

When I first lifted my Legacy, I used Forester struts and springs.

Then I got a set of Legacy Outback struts and springs, and found that the Legacy OB struts give more clearance between tire and spring perch, allowing for larger tires.

Also the Forester springs are taller, but can be compressed and swapped over to the OB struts.

Eventually I ended up with Legacy OB struts and King springs for a Forester and 27" General Grabbers, but had plenty of room to go with a larger tire.

• Like 1

When I first lifted my Legacy, I used Forester struts and springs.

Then I got a set of Legacy Outback struts and springs, and found that the Legacy OB struts give more clearance between tire and spring perch, allowing for larger tires.

Also the Forester springs are taller, but can be compressed and swapped over to the OB struts.

Eventually I ended up with Legacy OB struts and King springs for a Forester and 27" General Grabbers, but had plenty of room to go with a larger tire.

You must have been using 98-02 Forester struts. The 03-08 has the higher rear spring perch like the Outback struts. And you can put the 98-02 springs on those for a slightly stiffer setup as well.

You must have been using 98-02 Forester struts. The 03-08 has the higher rear spring perch like the Outback struts. And you can put the 98-02 springs on those for a slightly stiffer setup as well.

or you can use Ironman springs which are half the cost and have a better spring rate than the Kings.

or you can use Ironman springs which are half the cost and have a better spring rate than the Kings.

There just about the same cost, Subtle wants 399 for ironman springs and Primitive wants 439 shipped for king springs. I run king springs on my forester and i love them!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can swap the legacy springs over but would lose some height. Best is to get a lightly used set of struts/springs as an assembly and just bolt them in.

Gives 2-3 inches of lift and you can clear up to a 28 inch tire. I have this set up with some 3/8 HDPE spacers on my 98 legacy and did the same with a 97 Impreza outback a number of years ago.

Also helpful but not necessary (Unless you are maxing out tire size) is the trailing arm brackets from a 97-99 legacy outback. Keeps the hub centered in the rear wheel well.

Read the sticky at the top for lifting an impreza. Everything on a legacy is identical except the rear tophats will have the same bolt pattern as an outback and wont need drilling.

• 4 months later...

You can swap the legacy springs over but would lose some height. Best is to get a lightly used set of struts/springs as an assembly and just bolt them in.

Gives 2-3 inches of lift and you can clear up to a 28 inch tire. I have this set up with some 3/8 HDPE spacers on my 98 legacy and did the same with a 97 Impreza outback a number of years ago.

Also helpful but not necessary (Unless you are maxing out tire size) is the trailing arm brackets from a 97-99 legacy outback. Keeps the hub centered in the rear wheel well.

Read the sticky at the top for lifting an impreza. Everything on a legacy is identical except the rear tophats will have the same bolt pattern as an outback and wont need drilling.

Hi, a new member here. I'm researching getting more ground clearance on my '95 Legacy Outback, and this thread confuses me a little bit. Can anyone clarify the following?

a. It would seem that the suspension for a Legacy Outback is already a bit higher than a regular Legacy? 

b. If so, will the Forester suspension (a 97-02 according to this thread) give me additional height? 

c. And is it still a straight bolt-on?

Thanks!

Dan