Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Sportswagon losing power when warms up

Hey, I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me understand what's going on with my 1996 Subaru Sportswagon (boxer 2.0L)? Essentially, it starts perfectly and will run perfectly while cold although as soon as it starts getting warm, the engine loses its power and the car idles really rough. This will last until the engine is properly warm. A few times I've been driving and it's been so bad before that the car has actually stalled and won't start again for about 10-20 seconds.

I've asked a few people and have had a range of answers like "ignition, exhaust flow sensor, coolant temperature sensor, bad plugs/leads, choke flooding the engine, wrong fuel-air mixture.

While it could be one or a couple of those things, I'd love to know why the car is having trouble during the engine warming process and at no other time.

If someone could give me a hand it'd be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Bobby

I just picked up a new subaru the other day with low rpms when and sounded like spoob once she warmed up, go through and check the airbox and air intake and the plugs is a good place to start, I found an inch of clay and dirt in my airbox and a clogged air filter. You live in the desert just like me, that dirt in the airbox with turn to clay and clog up everything seeing as your intake starts in the right wheel well. Poor placement picks up dirt like MAD! Especially in the desert!

Edited by PA Grown

I just picked up a new subaru the other day with low rpms when and sounded like spoob once she warmed up, go through and check the airbox and air intake and the plugs is a good place to start, I found an inch of clay and dirt in my airbox and a clogged air filter. You live in the desert just like me, that dirt in the airbox with turn to clay and clog up everything seeing as your intake starts in the right wheel well. Poor placement picks up dirt like MAD! Especially in the desert!

It could be that, although the car runs well at all times even at low rpm. The only time it has trouble is literally from the time it starts warming up to the time it is warm. It leads me to believe that maybe a sensor isn't picking up the temperature change therefore not changing the fuel mixture accordingly? Not 100% sure though......

• 4 weeks later...

Temp sensor under the intake right side. the larger one of the two.

Hey man thanks for your response! I actually just changed the temp sensor on the car and while it did make the car feel a slight bit more responsive, it didn't actually fix the problem I'm having.

Anybody know if there's any other sensors that dictate fuel the mixture?

kinda odd symptoms. we're just guessing without some way to measure/track a:f ratios during the warm-up period.

My guess, a 96 could have some gummy deposits in the IACV that change characteristics as the car warms-up I guess. You might clean it.

If the car is equipped with a MAF, there's a special spray cleaner for that as well.