Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering Rack from 98 Forester into 98 Impreza?

Hey gang, 

I've been going through www.opposedforces.com for things I should pull off my parts Forester for my Impreza and I wanted to know about the steering rack. I see on OF.com that it isn't a direct replacement part between the two but I can't help but think that it would have to be close enough to use anyway because so much of the suspension, crossmembers, etc are direct swap-over parts. 

Has anyone done a rack swap between the two before? I have a hunch that there is some minute difference between them in ratio (for different tire size maybe?) or something that makes them not 100% identical parts but that they would still swap in and work in place of each other.

Any ideas?  

I'm trying to farm out as many spares from this rig as I can before having it hauled for crushing. So far I've put all four struts and springs on my impreza as well as a bunch of stereo mounting dash parts and the nicer front bucket seats. I've also pulled all the axles and the front control arms to have 'in stock'. I think I'm getting pretty good mileage out of a $250 parts car. :)

+1 can't confirm but i'd guess them to be the same.

google image search or use ebay for images - and compare the two?

if the crossmembers are the same - that's encouraging for sure.

rack boots the same?

rebuild kit the same?

steering rack bushings the same?

P/S lines the same...maybe not if they have to make up for the "lift" difference.

Edited by grossgary

Forget rebuild kits, the clearances are too tight for a rebuild without all the proper dial indicators and presses.

Get a used rack. I have had rebuilt racks fail out of the box.

I have a GT rack in my Outback, the wheels rub a little at full lock as the tie rod ends are supposed to be different, but it works. SUbarus dont change much, but I would check the full lock position of the rack, as I think that is where things differ. The nice thing about it is that you wil know quickly if it works or not without connecting the wheel (the biggest PITA I found).

Nipper,

We're just talking about comparing rebuild kits to verify the same-ness of the Forester and impreza racks...

And it looks like the two DO take the same rebuild kit. I'll pull the Forester rack before the it goes to the crusher. The parts on that thing are basically 'free' at this point so why not?

The rack will physically work in the impreza, but the steering ratio is much slower than the impreza unit.

Cool. good to know! I'll be keeping it on hand as an emergency spare anyway. That poor Impreza isn't likely to last more than another couple years anyway thanks to the vicious amount of road salt and neglect it has seen over its lifetime.