Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tic of death 1993 ea82

So I recently replaced my oil pump seals and gaskets because I had the tic of death... I still have it!? It isn't constant but has been happening after I run the car on the highway for about 20 minutes. It goes away when I exit and get to speed on the road towards my house. Anybody have some ideas on why this is happening? Any remedies short of removing the oil pump again?

Thanks!

It may take a good bit of driving before it finally stops. Like a couple hundred miles. I've never timed it. But it has not been as simple as reseal oil pump, start, and it's gone instantly. At least for me.

I hope so Dave. I've driven it about 300-500 miles so far.

Viton is the material, not a brand. It tolerates higher temperatures. Viton is not black in color, kind of brownish with these seals. You did not mention the mileage or if the oil pump shaft was worn in the way of groove(s).

Find a different vendor.

The seal was brownish color. The car has 154k and the oil pump shaft didn't look worn but I didn't measure it either. Can a loose oil filler cap cause aeration of the oil?

What has worked for me in the past .... I put about half a quart of ATF in the oil  (use the whole quart if you are 1 quart low on oil) ... I run the motor between 1000-2500 rpm for maybe 5-10 minutes... or until the TOD stops.     The ATF seems to clean out the oil galleys, I guess.

Then of course, drain the oil and replace the filter.   I use Delo 15-40 since 1993 and I have only had the TOD once  (ATF did the trick).   I have never rebuilt the oil pump on this particular EA 82 Soob.

• 2 months later...

Thought I would do an update. I changed my oil yesterday and elected to use Valvoline High Mileage Synthetic Blend 10w-40. I drove it to work this morning at about 70mph @4100rpms and no TOD as of yet. Before, that little ea82 would be ticking for sure! Thanks for the advise everybody. :)

I think that is called a Red-line tune up. Possibly the most underrated cure for TOD? I baby my car. I must say I am impressed. Never drove an ea82 that would top 80 and my gf 3AT will barely go 70. Were you going down hill?

Anyways. Drive it like you stole it.

I'll be interested to see if stays quiet, I hope so. I certainly can relate to the TOD. Did you do the re-inforced case o-rings on the cam towers yet? I have had pretty good luck with Marvel Mystery Oil for noisy lifters too.

I'm interested in seeing if it stays quiet too. I haven't done anything to the can towers. I will on my next timing belt change.