Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I'm looking at a 96 Legacy Wagon A/T. I haven't taken a good look at it yet or negotiated the price but I wanted to find out have information so I will know what to look out for when I inspect the car. It is a EJ22. Does anyone know of any open recalls or the reliability of the A/T or any potential problems?

Thank you very much

danz

I have a 96 Legacy manual trans. I am very happy with my car, just had to replace a few basic parts. The 2.2 liter engines are happy little critters, you won't have to worry about all the stuff (head gaskets, etc) that the 2.5s are going through.

About the only bugaboo I know of with the wagons is a rusty hatch latch because the metal for it wasn't treated. Pretty easy to replace, instructions are here, search the archives if it turns out you need to replace it.

The dash lights tend to burn out, but that's just annoying. I haven't bothered to fix mine.

I'm sure other board members can tell you specifics about the auto trans.

Have fun!

The transmission is a long-running design jointly developed by several Japanese automakers. As always, you have to make sure the one you're looking at works well and has been well maintained.