Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wheel bearing replacement

depends on how you do it.

You will need a special socket to remove the lockring on the back that holds the outer race in the arm.

Hammer out the stub axle.  Then I ussually use a 36mm socket to drive out the old outer race(fits just inside the race) 

I drive the axle stub into the new bearing with a press.....then use the old outer race to drive the new bearing w/stub installed into the arm.

Remember you don't necessarily need the special socket to remove that lockring. It makes it easy but if you can't find one you can use a punch and hammer and pound on the flat parts of the lock ring to dislodge it and tighten it up when done but take extra time to find where the metal has been bent down in the opening of the lockring. If you don't bend it back out you will fight that sucker forever trying to loosen it.

I think the socket is no longer made. You would have to search for a used one most likely. If you went that route. My went pretty easy with the socket and a Milwaukee 18v impact. On my 87 Brat there was no metal bent down in the slot. Don't know how different the EA82 rear bearings are but I was surprised with mine being as easy as they were.