Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who knows the most about trannys

O.K. just to specify, we are talking about transmissions here, not the other trannies. I am trying to piece meal a 1978 Brat together with parts that I have. The problem is I have no idea what they are out of.

This is what I know:

I have a 1.8 with hydro lifters.

I have a AWD/4WD transmission that bolts to it. (I believe it is a 5 spd)

The tranny have a 24 spline shaft

The stationary shaft that comes out of the front of the tranny is approx. 33mm.

It is a pull style clutch

Here is my real questions. I do not have the throw out bearing carrier or the clutch/pressure plate. I have the larger flywheel. I bought a bearing carrier (part #431527000) but it is to small to fit over the stationary shaft that comes out of the front of the tranny. It is also too small to hold the bearing. I assume this is due to it being a 24 spline not a 21 spline.

I pulled the tranny and engine out of the car. The cv joints were attached and I believe they are the original 1978 brat joints.

The more info I could get the better. I have the original DR 4 speed but would rather use this 5 speed. I have to order the carrier and the full clutch kit before I can put it all back together and back in the car/truck/toy.

Thanks,

post-55216-0-65120100-1414263782_thumb.jpg

post-55216-0-64416600-1414263783_thumb.jpg

post-55216-0-53345500-1414263784_thumb.jpg

The pictures are of the trans you are trying to identify right? If so, it has dual range, and that leaves you with only one possibility, 5MT D/R. You'll want a 4wd clutch kit for an 86 or so GL. Rockauto has many options that include pilot bearing and throwout bearing assembly. I swear by exedy, but they aren't cheap.

I was unaware that it is a DR. I suppose that makes a big difference. I actually think it may be a nice option?

Would you still recommend I use this tranny on an EA81 with a Weber?

Will I be able to comfortably use it at freeway speeds?

Oh, and yes those are pics of the transmission.

Thanks for all the help, any other info?

Well, I just bought a kit from my local parts store and it all seems to fit! I really appreciate the help. What kind of speeds have you guys been able to achieve with this setup. I have a trip planned next summer. I will be driving from Portland OR to Spokane to Vegas. New engine, and tranny should be reliable, but will I be able to cruise at freeway speeds?

Pardon my ignorance but I was under the impression using gen 3 flywheel and clutch on a gen2 caused engagement issues.. not having enough pedal throw to fully engage?

You are correct.  It can make for starter issues too. (cured with a few washer shims.....not ideal though)

Smleod, I would recommend using a Flywheel from an EA82 vehihcle (85-94 4wd 5spd wagon/sedan)

Just to clear up some stuff. I have a 1978 Brat. It came with an extra EA81 with hydro lifters and an extra tranny. It seems like we have determined the type of tranny, but we are still working on being able to mate the two together.

I have a flywheel that requires a 8.75 pressure plate setup. The clutch kit I bought today is for an '86 GL and the splines match as well as the bearings. The top of the tranny has a gold sticker on it with the number "869507".

Will my setup work? Is there a way I can test it before I install the engine and tranny assembly? Any ID markings on the flywheel that will help?

Also, what needs to be done with the starter? I am not opposed to using spacer because I am starting to go down the rabbit hole.

Thanks for all the help. Y'all know your Subarus. I can barely remember my name after taking a short nap.

Will my setup work? Is there a way I can test it before I install the engine and tranny assembly? Any ID markings on the flywheel that will help?

Also, what needs to be done with the starter? I am not opposed to using spacer because I am starting to go down the rabbit hole.

If the flywheel has a deeply beveled edge on the engine side, ONLY timing marks no hash marks (III) for timing belts...... it is an Large type EA81 flywheel, and will present starter and engagement issues when used with EA82 clutch and trans.....

If the flywheel has a more "square" edge on the engine side, and has a set of hash marks (III) then it is the EA82 flywheel.  Also, if it is an EA82 the bolt holes in the flywheel will be 1 size larger than the bolts in the EA81 crank. (M10 vs. M9)

O.K. So it sounds like I may have an EA81 flywheel because I used the flywheel bolts off of the old EA71 engine and don't remember there being any significant size difference. I am not sure what you mean by hash marks though. The flywheel I have has marks  10 II A II 0 II B II10 IIII 20  .

What are my solutions? It sounds like getting an EA82 flywheel would be the preferred method? What was the talk about shims? Like I hinted at earlier, I am trying to keep the $ low to keep this a viable option. If it gets too costly it may have to get sold to someone else. I don't want that.

Thanks again

O.K. So it sounds like I may have an EA81 flywheel because I used the flywheel bolts off of the old EA71 engine and don't remember there being any significant size difference. I am not sure what you mean by hash marks though. The flywheel I have has marks  10 II A II 0 II B II10 IIII 20  .

What are my solutions? It sounds like getting an EA82 flywheel would be the preferred method? What was the talk about shims? Like I hinted at earlier, I am trying to keep the $ low to keep this a viable option. If it gets too costly it may have to get sold to someone else. I don't want that.

Thanks again

1 or 2 washers stacked between the starter and the bell.