Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FINALLY got a replacement 5spd d/r. Couple questions

It's doable with some jiggling and skill and patience.

Personally, I'd rather support the chassis & then be able to disconnect the lower ball joints from the steering knuckles and reconnect the shafts after the box is in place.

Im sure lots of people do it that way.

But I refuse to be under a rig that long, pushing an pulling on things, with just a pair of jackstands keeping you alive.

I do it this way...

ea105.jpg

I refuse to be under a rig that long, pushing an pulling on things, with just a pair of jackstands keeping you alive.

ea105.jpg

That's kinda my reasoning as well. Think I'm going to stick with putting it up on ramps. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice

Whats wrong with the transmission in the car? If it only has 82k it shouldn't be bad already unless it wasn't treated good. Is it slipping, grinding, clunking?

Sorry turbo didn't see this till now. The old trans has a bad bearing, or what I'm assuming to be right now. I'll be splitting it open after its out. The car had 46k on it in 2012 when i got it so it was barely driven in 20 odd years and then i drove it across the country twice and never checked the gear oil :/

Sorry turbo didn't see this till now. The old trans has a bad bearing, or what I'm assuming to be right now. I'll be splitting it open after its out. The car had 46k on it in 2012 when i got it so it was barely driven in 20 odd years and then i drove it across the country twice and never checked the gear oil :/

We want lots of picture if you are splitting a dual range.

• Like 1

While it's fresh in my head,
Drain trans
Remove four bolts attaching drive shaft to rear diff
Remove two bolts on center carrier bearing
Slide drive shaft out
Remove roll pins from front axles
Hop in the car and remove interior trim from shifters
Remove Phillips screws from inner boot
Slide boot up and undo bolts for shifter linkages
Drop linkages
Back under the car remove bolts for trans pitch rod mount and shifter mount
Drop exhaust

Remove bellhousing bolts and shift the trans back and down and out! Be careful!

Edited by l75eya

2n6q0w.jpg
Drive shaft removed.
hrle1s.jpg
Axles can remain attached to the wheels. Once the bellhousing is loose and you can shift the transmission around, you can remove the axles from the trans stubs entirely.

123sarn.jpg
Remove all interior trim around the shifters. Take off the phillips screws holding the rubber boot on and then undo the linkages.
23rkcav.jpg
12MM bolts. After they are all removed you can climb  under the car and unbolt the pitch rod
2q8blm8.jpg
Separating.
m9x6pf.jpg

Finally.

Can anybody explain why theres a difference between my dual range and the replacement?

In the pictures, mine has the plug on the side. That same location on the replacement has no plug and what appears to be a circle with a cross through it like on a no smoking sign. Supwitdat?

post-29263-0-74093300-1414997619_thumb.jpg

post-29263-0-34617500-1414997635_thumb.jpg

post-29263-0-48080800-1414997662_thumb.jpg

post-29263-0-91402900-1414997678_thumb.jpg

Yeah......that's the Hi/Lo light indicator switch.

The 85 had the switch mounted to the D/R lever under the shifter console....

in 87....they changed and added the switch to the side of the trans.......

In 88....they went SPFI and added a Nuetral switch to the trans as well....

so.....For U.S market, EA82 series....non-turbo Dual range subi trans this is the breakdown.....

85,86....2 switches.......Reverse, and 4wd

87 Fed.(carbed).....3 switches........Reverse, 4wd, Hi/Lo

87 Cali, and 88,89 all..(SPFI)......4 switches........Reverse, 4wd, Hi/Lo, and Nuetral

• Like 2

Thanks, G.

Guess I'll try and figure out how to wire it up..

So the connections on the 85 are for the 4wd lights and reverse.

The lever switch would illuminate the lo light?

Correct......the microswitch mounts to the D/R lever......IIRC...the microswitch is the same type as the one on the side of the Heater box for activating the A/C when the "vent" button is pushed.

so maybe you could scavenge the one from your loyale?  Mount it to the shifter......run the wires from the Trans connector into the cab to the microswitch.

Can anybody explain why theres a difference between my dual range and the replacement?

In the pictures, mine has the plug on the side. That same location on the replacement has no plug and what appears to be a circle with a cross through it like on a no smoking sign. Supwitdat?

That means you gotta stop smoking. :P

Curious why you undid the shift linkages at the gearstick end & not the transmission end?

There's only 1 split pin & a washer through each, and then you don't need to remove the centre console, rubber boot, ...

Bit hard to get to until the tailshaft & exahust are removed, but not overly difficult ;)

I didn't want to lay underneath the car anymore! Lol jk, honestly because i want too sure which was easier but also because I'm going to have to swap those parts on to the new trans and i wanted to see how everything looks before taking it apart. The junkyard trans they just cut the linkage when they pulled it.

Now i know for next time though!

Dropped the flywheel off to get machined today. Progress.