Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New member. 1988 GL Enthusiast

Hello everyone. I have a 1988 Subaru GL 5-speed Dual Range station wagon. This car is great!! Best $650 I ever spent!! Runs great and is very reliable. I have taken this thing through snow, tractor farm fields, and rutted out forest roads. Very impressed with this little rig.

Shortly after purchase, I disabled the vehicle for the winter of 2012 for a complete work over. Resealed all oil leaks with new gaskets, replaced head gaskets; water pump; oil pump; timing belts and clutch kit. Along with distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, and wires.

Recently replaced in 2014 were 4 tires; front pads, rotors, and calipers; transmission and rear diff fluids; and a rusted out muffler.

As of now this car is my daily driver, 40 miles a day, 5 days a week...at a minimum. Average 23-25 mpg daily in stop and go traffic, and about 30 mpg freeway. Eastbound interstate 90 (I-90) averaged 350 miles per 12 gallons (full tank). That is incredible!!

Here is a picture of this proper vehicle:

I will be adding additional photos soon.

Thank you.

post-35088-0-60326400-1414350219_thumb.jpg

Edited by 88SubieSnack

Thank you. More pictures coming tomorrow. Along with a bit of pricing and thinking of my next assignment for this vehicle. It may be delayed until the spring, and or summer of next year, but will definitely be a main modification goal for the time being. I am starting to gather the necessary components for an EJ22 engine swap. Stay tuned for my build thread in the appropriate category.

A little about myself.

I have automotive knowledge built up that has me as a dealer technician. I just sold a modified civic with a motor that I rebuilt. But now I am stepping down from Honda's and checking out Subaru modifications, swaps, conversions, and performance. I really like the 1990-1994 Subaru Legacy sedan. I am thinking of purchasing one soon for a daily driver as I tinker with the EJ22 project. I may even buy a second one for a swap parts car. 

Stay tuned.

Thanks.