Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey USMB,

1) Will someone explain the difference between a MPFI intake set-up and a carburated non-turbo intake set-up on an EA-82 from 1985 wagons.

2) Also are there other differences in heads/ block/ or anything I am not aware of? 

Thanks for the help, Aaron

Two85s...

as well as being in XT's and Turbo's there were a handful of 2wd 85 models that also had non-turbo MPFI.....this is the engine you have.

It's an early type used with Flapper MAF. 

It's a "flat" intake, not a "spider"

Carbed, SPFI, MPFI, and Turbo in 85 have different combinations of compression and cam profiles.....

by 87 though....all Carbed and and SPFI and non-turbo MPFI went to the same compression (9.5:1) and Carbed and SPFI got the same cams.  IIRC the N/A MPFI still used it's own cam.  This is why I believe 87 models with carbs should be timed to 20 degrees not 8......I think Fuji didn't update the spec for 87 since it's the last year for carbs.....

Anyhow....

the engine you have two85s is 9:1 compression, and 12,58,58,12 cam profile (btdc,abdc,bbdc,atdc)

Down Under, we might not have got the RX II, nor the XT6, nor the EA81 Hatches, but we did get a number of Touring Wagons with NA mpfi as well as a few mpfi Royale FWD NA sedans, any XT4 was NA mpfi.

The others above have pointed out the main difference being mpfi heads and matching inlet mans are twin port on mpfi.

spfi are single port so the inlets fit both EA81 and EA82 single port carb heads.

mpfi engine blocks also have an extra PCV outlet pipe at the rear of the non dizzy side casing, and is accessible from behind the flywheel - there is a baffled cover plate and gasket. Most recent one I bought the extra outlet all coked up. Think I have just discovered its O2 sensor reading lean all the time too :(

Edited by jono

Thank for the input everyone.  I was originally hanging on to the whole engine so I could use it as a core when I got a rebuilt/ new EA-82 engine built by CCR in Denver....when the time came.   But I am not going to keep storing it because my Subaru is just a "cub" with about 215K.  I watch the fluids and take it easy (generally) so I think my EA-82 will be good for many years. 

Dave T (That lumber rack is a thing of beauty) and Ibreakstuff (extraordinary USMB name but I'm not letting you drive my wagon..lol) thanks for adding your feedback.  Gloyale, as always, is helpful and responsive and I appreciate it.  You are correct sir......the donor wagon was a 85 GL-10 Auto FWD wagon with power windows.  Its bumpers and plastic covers, front passenger side quarter panel and rear hatch are on my wagon presently.  I still have the hood and various other pieces from it in a shed ....waiting for action.  jono thanks for the facts about what you guys have down under..very interesting thanks.  Here are a few more photos of the Flapper MAF:

Gloyale, Is there something we could trade with eachother if you have a use for this engine (or parts of it) or maybe just a small cash donation to my desert prospecting "Beans and Gas Fund"?  How would we get it to you affordably?  Cheers everyone and be well! Aaron

post-31763-0-67097700-1414466870_thumb.jpg

post-31763-0-41715700-1414466880_thumb.jpg

post-31763-0-21630200-1414466902_thumb.jpg

post-31763-0-53006200-1414466912_thumb.jpg

post-31763-0-65368800-1414466922_thumb.jpg