Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Loyale starter

I think you are charting new territory by taking it apart  while it is in the car. Only suggestion I have is to remove it from the vehicle and assembly it on a nice clean warm bench inside.  I am not saying you can't do it like you are doing, but I suspect it will take lots of cuss words before the job is done.

I think you are charting new territory by taking it apart  while it is in the car. Only suggestion I have is to remove it from the vehicle and assembly it on a nice clean warm bench inside.  I am not saying you can't do it like you are doing, but I suspect it will take lots of cuss words before the job is done.

+1

Thank you!

I have yet to disassemble the motor part of a Subaru starter. It may be the brushes hanging up on the comutator. Or something like that. I have disassembled the solenoid section many times to replace one of the copper contacts. That is an off car project.

Starter removal: Confirm (2) 14mm bolts at the base of the starter ground (from battery) at about the 2 o'clock (looking forward) - this bolt appears to go through the top of the transmission (see pic); and 7 o'clock?  Also tried removing the 14 mm hot with swivel socket, no luck, very tight, any suggestions?

Thanks for nursing me along... :)

post-47590-0-38132900-1414522233_thumb.jpg

First, make sure to disconnect the battery cables.

When I remove starters from ea82's, I remember leaving the hot wire connected to the starter.   Just remove the starter mounting bolts.... then remove the hot wire after the starter is up and out from the flywheel.   Then you can 'get' to the hot wire when the starter is sitting on the inside fender.

When you have the starter on the bench, you might as well check the contacts at the solenoid end.    Those are fairly easy to replace.

Oh, another little mod I do to make starter service easier.  Remove the clamp that holds the cables to the steel tube that helps support the spare tire.  Then strip off the tape and stuff that holds the + and - cables together.  Been running them that way since around 1988 with no ill effects.

You have to remove the spare tire support rod, remove battery cable support, and any other hose or pcv tube that is in the way.

I can remove all the starter mounting bolts from top ... but I do some of my best work 'by feel'.  

If you can't get to the bolt head, then yes, take a look at it from underneath.    Keep at it ... you'll get it.

In the meantime, pull the solenoid cap (3 little bolts... like 8mm hex heads).   Inside, you will see the copper starter contacts (2).  The one on the battery side will probably be worn down from the arcing that has occurred... thus preventing the transfer of juice to the electric motor side.    It is these contacts that you may wish to replace.   The contacts are maybe .99 cents apiece.   I get mine from a local mechanic repair shop.    Although, I think I may try to find them wholesale.  You will then have a spare starter... cool, huh? 

Napa may have them.    

I bought mine from a shop here in town ... Mechtronics.    He is just a one-man shop.   

You might check you local shops.     If not, I found these guys for wholesale.    But they have a $10 minimum order.   The contacts are only .58 cents.

www.aspwholesale.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=786

You want part #66-82786      You need two of them.

Check locally, first.

• 1 month later...