Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Timing belt change

So I am going to be attempting to change the timing belt on my '88 gl wagon soon. I will also replace the water pump at the same time. Really I have two major concerns. First of all my ea82 engine is equipped with air conditioning and was wondering if you guys had any tips on working around that component while changing the timing belt/ water pump. Another thing I was wondering about was whether or not I need to remove the radiator to do this change and have enough room to work. I am also looking for some general tips on changing the timing belt outside of the obvious complete tutorial.

Thanks Kyle.

I assume that you have two fans, electric and clutched on the water pump. Very little working room, even with one electric fan.

Disconnect hoses, temp switch, overflow tube and two bolts. No bolts on the bottom. pull out radiator.  You need room for work and looking. With the radiator gone, just reach through from the front & top to deal with the water pump and timing belt tensioners.

Think about the cam seals ( lip and o-ring ) and the crank seal.  More reasons to have the radiator out of the way.

Throw away the plastic timing belt covers.  Your engine will receive more air flowing around the block. You will be able to check the cheap timing belt tensioners that do not last a year.

Sorry about the AC. It is a pain to deal with.

I have retro AC.........I just roll down the window.

Do not attempt to 'change the timing belts outside of the complete tutorial' as you want to do.  The procedure is not difficult. Go slow and check, re-check your work.

For the AC - remove the alternator. Then remove the bolts that hold the cast iron bracket to the engine. The hoses are just long enough to allow you to flip the compressor back upside down.

One 14mm behind compressor, 1 12mm under alternator, 2 14mm below the compressor. The left one just loosen, the right, remove.