Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 O2 sensor renewal ...no easy access :(

jono

Silly me, thought I could just swap out old suspect O2 sensor with a known good one. Not being a turbo, or even a real EA82 - I have an EA82 Y pipe on my EA81 and want to use the O2 simply for monitoring or tune up. Slide underneath armed with a 22mm ring spanner and find heat shield all over the place covering the hex of the O2 sensor. Even if I had a super long 22mm socket, the socket would hit the engine cross member :(

A trial of CRC556 on heatshield bolts and their captive nuts reveals all is not gonna be pretty. I will also need to at leasst drop the pipes off the heads or totally remove to change out this service item. Might just have to snip heatshield a bigger hole .....

I haven't had an exhaust system with heat shields in a loooong time.   Although, the 93 I just got from a guy in CA still has OEM.  But I expect that O2 sensor will not come out easily.  I'll probably put the all stainless exhaust I made on it when that sensor or the cat fails.  It'll be easier.