Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What would you pay for a 2001 impreza?

car has some work done to it so it may be a decent deal if it is properly sorted. i have a 2000 impreza w/ similar mileage but is certainly not as nice (more of a beater/commuter car) and i paid less than $1k.

i would try talking to him to see if he's in love w/ the car and thinks he's giving it away at the asking price or if he wants to sell it. that should give you an idea of whether you can offer $2500 or not.

I wouldn't pay $4k for that. If it had ZERO rust and the fenders, hood, front bumper matched factory paint, maybe $4k, but not in that shape. He wanted a WRX, but instead took a NA EJ22 and tried turning it into a "racer", meaning it's been driven hard, especially with the mods he focused on. Also, he states the interior is "100%", but it's not. The carpet is stained and faded, and covers a large portion on the interior, so more like 60% of interior is OK. The exterior rust is not on a DIY easily spot. So figure $500-1000 to properly patch in fresh metal and a new paint job to keep her looking nice. Major front end piece replacements with NO paint and wanting to sell might point to an accident he never reported. Do your very diligent homework before taking it seriously. I wouldn't pay more than $1500 for it in that condition.

For what it's worth, I paid around $850 for my 95' Legacy that had about the same amount of rust. It had noisy lifters and a rotted out rear crossmember. Interior was roughly the same as that Impreza. It didn't have the LSD, or few extra add-ons, but it ran great and was owned by an old woman and no abuse in it's history. I paid $18 for a 1 year old rear crossmember and got good, used lifters for free as the junk yard chick fancied me. I could drop a turbo'd engine in the car and slap WRX rims on this and still have less than $4k in it.

• Like 1

I completely agree with Bushwick. Rust and the body work alone would make me worry, plus you can see some things rusting in the engine compartment.  With all the visual issues I would be pretty surprised if the engine/suspension modifications are done right/well. 

For an '01 with 170k miles, in good condition I would pay 3,500 tops. For that one, I would offer . . 2,000. .maybe.