Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello from a 92 Loyale owner

Hello all! I have owned my '92 subaru loyale for 3-4 years now and it has always ran strong. It has recently been asking (kindly) for some repairs, and I have been trying to decide if I should just sell it and get a new car, or put money into it and have it run for another 100k.

I just recently decided to go for the repairs option, and suddenly it died... completely. I came here hoping to get some advice on what is wrong with it. Here is the scenario:

Went to work like I do every morning, worked all day, and when I went to go home it wouldn't start. It cranks over fine, but acts as though it has no ignition at all (not even a sputter). I checked everything: It has 47lbs of fuel pressure, there are no CEL codes, the distributor was a little worn, but replacing the cap and rotor did not help. When I first check it had spark at the plugs, and gas, but no running. I had to get a ride home that night, I went back the next morning and checked the fuses. After I checked the fuses I thought I would give it another shot. To my surprise it actually started! I left it running, and shortly after it warmed it it died (in a hurry... again, not sputter, just dead). Ever since it died the second time I haven't been able to get it to sputter at all. There is a spark from the coil (though I must admit it seems slightly erratic), and the coils resistance reads right at around 5ohms.

Bottom line:

* Has gas

* Spark (ish? as far as I can tell)

* Distributor rotor is turning, so at least ONE of the timing belts isn't broken (not sure how to verify the other isn't broken)

* No check engine light

* Before when it ran, and when it ran for a little while it purrs like a kitten... no sputter, no funny sounds.

Any ideas? In theory '92 is supposed to have fuel injectors, but I can't find them (the fuel line goes to what appears to be a carburetor). Also, the distributor IS actually a good old fashioned distributor (not an Ignition Module).

Thank you!