Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can anynoe recommend good CHEAP tires that I can put on my 2003 imprezza? The manager from Just Tires kept pushing me towards the more expensive tires, and when I inquired about some of their cheaper tires he told me they were no good. I finally left just a little annoyed by his hard sell methods. My tires are size P195/60R15 87h Bridgestone Potenza's RE 92. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, also sometimes I go up to the Upper Penninsula of Michigan and drive the gravel and dirt/sand roads , but nothing that a regular car couldn't handle. Thanks....

Do you want inexpensive tires or inexpensive H speed rated tires?

Try Sam's club and the like and compare UTQG ratings for traction temperature and treadwear.

Subaru likes H rated tires for handling but, the way I drive, I couldn't tell much difference with the Goodyear Reggata T's I put on. Cooper Cobra would be an economical H rated tire but everybody has a private brand true performance tire that's cheaper than their flagship brand.

The only reason private brand tires "aren't as good" is because the tire dealers make less profit on them.

If you're driving on the edge, get the Goodyear, Bridgestone, Dunlop lastest and greatest High Performance tires.

If you're a normal driver, get the name or private brand at a more economical speed rating. The dealer may want you to agree not to drive at 130 mph though.

www.tirerack.com has lots of useful info on tires. Decide what criteria - including price - are important to you. You will find charts there that compare many many tires on many many criteria.

They won't have the brands and models you'll find at your local Fleet Farm or Farm and Fleet. But those places also have decent enough tires without the major brand names.

"Cheap" is a relative term. I have been happy with Bridgestone Turanza LSTs on my Honda Civic. They are far from expensive.