Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HI everyone,

I know USMB does not endorse vendors, and hopefully this post does not cross a line.  If so, hopefully a moderator will remove the post. No bad intentions here...did not find an answer to this question in the vendor section.

Regarding a "new to me" 2009 Forester with 69K miles.  Went to replace the spark plugs this weekend and oil all over the plastic ignition wire covering.  No oil leaking externally.  Most likely spark plug tube seals are leaking, so I will also be replacing the valve cover gaskets (aka rocker cover gaskets?)

(1) Anyhow, looking for recommendations where you all buy parts on-line.  I've had my share of both good and bad vendors, and am hoping to avoid a pitfall here.  This will also be helpful for future purchases such as oil & air filters, etc.  The dealership wants $62.00 for the gaskets and tube seals.  Seems like a lot to me.

(2) should I also replace the ignition wires, or can I get away with just wiping them off real good with an old T-shirt or shop towels?

So, if it is not against the integrity of the USMB, would like to know where you've had good experiences buying parts for your Subarus.

Thanks!

Pasta

Most of the time for valve cover gaskets I just use Fel-Pro from Advanceautoparts or Autozone, etc. Advance usually has good discount codes if you search on google or retailmenot.com.

Rockauto.com has tons of parts for much lower prices, but you do have to watch the shipping charges.

If Felpro doesn't have the gaskets, the dealer may be your only option. Try an online dealer for better prices. Sometimes the cost to ship makes it not worth it, but your local dealer may be willing to match online pricing to get a sale.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

bringing up an old thread, but can i ask if anybody has a preference as to the valve cover gaskets,

i mean it seems the more expensive fel pro ones have a more rubber grommet, where the cheaper (fel pro)ones have a partially metallic?

and yet the more expensive ones than fel pro the grommets are also metallic, at lest from the pictures i see,

(2) should I also replace the ignition wires, or can I get away with just wiping them off real good with an old T-shirt or shop towels?

If you have not completed this work already, I would add to use rubbing alcohol on that old T-shirt or shop towels to clean off oil and dirt. The alcohol will do a good job of removing oily residue.

I always use felpro and have never been let down. As for online retailers it's hard to beat rockauto, but I usually pay the dollar or two extra for the convenience of the parts store. The nice thing about rockauto though is you can find brands that most parts stores don't carry. Just make sure you watch the shipping.