Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the springs themselves have little to do with it - it is the lower spring perch on the strut that will determine the max tire size.

and yes, from what i have heard, and seen, the Outback struts have just a little more clearance than the forester struts do.

Outback struts

IMAG1478_zpsammni6co.jpg

98 Forester struts

IMAG1461_zpsoouens5u.jpg

It is very true that the 96-99 outback rear struts have more clearance than the 98-02 forester rear struts. Fronts are the same exact strut however, and there is basically no difference between 96-99 outback and 03-08 forester struts in regards to perch height front or rear.

Also without going with more than just struts/springs you'll need tocut on the body to clear 235/75r15s. 215/75r15s would be about the limit without sacrificing body panels.

Edited by 86BRATMAN
  • Like 1

Outback struts

IMAG1478_zpsammni6co.jpg

98 Forester struts

IMAG1461_zpsoouens5u.jpg

It is very true that the 96-99 outback rear struts have more clearance than the 98-02 forester rear struts. Fronts are the same exact strut however, and there is basically no difference between 96-99 outback and 03-08 forester struts in regards to perch height front or rear.

Also without going with more than just struts/springs you'll need tocut on the body to clear 235/75r15s. 215/75r15s would be about the limit without sacrificing body panels.

What tire size is that? Also, what amount of body panel sacrifice are we talking? Because I already have 2 of those size tires that I got for free from the monster brat

Edited by comatosellama

My pics are with 205/75r15 that are currently on my forester. 215s you can get by with no body mods (except maybe a bfh to the inner fender well on the front). Just be aware that if you are planning on using used tires they need to be within a quarter inch circumference between all 4 or you will be damaging your transmission.