Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

USMB-now managed by my company RetroRoo

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,953 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:49 PM

For the past 2-4 years donations have really tapered off.  Add to that the cost of our hosting and software has increased.  In the past 2 years my shop has essentially paid for more than 3/4 of the cost of running the site to a total cost between $1000-1500.  

Moving forward I will be adding items to the USMB store from my company RetroRoo as well as our company logo to the banner on the site.  This will not be invasive as I know how you all feel about ads and frankly I feel the same way about them.  

If there is a product that you think we can get and you want it added to the store please by all means ask.  I am all about making this a positive thing for you guys and my shop and not here to make a fortune but I do need to recoup the costs and keep the site free to use.  

With a little luck and the support of the users here we can keep the site virtually free and maybe even add features to make it better.  

#2 spicypeanut

spicypeanut

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LA CA

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:23 PM

Sounds good to me. If you need to do a couple things to make you a little money back I am on board 100%. Just please don't put those silly ad's like NASIOC uses. Very invasive.

#3 Leeroy

Leeroy

Old boxer tricks!

• Members
  • 635 posts
  • Albury, NSW, Australia

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:29 PM

I have no problems with RetroRoo on the site/banner/shop (the RetroRoo site already links to USMB - or is this new?) and it certainly makes sense if you are $upporting the site.

Ads from elsewhere (which I note you are not suggesting) would be a negative move IMHO.

Being in Australia I cannot really use the services of RetroRoo, although there might be something one day! 

#4 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

22 Years of Ownership. 94-16

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:47 PM

Thank you for supporting this site. I look forward to expanded offerings in your store.

#5 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,684 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:01 AM

Understandable and apologies for not having sent any in. By the time it crosses the mind, the coffers are empty :(

Appreciative of all that you have done and a few self managed advertisements is all good with me :)

Twitch

#6 Billy G.

Billy G.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Middleburg, Fl

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:01 PM

Where and how do you donate to the site?  Also, hope you use PayPal.

Billy G.

#7 Mykeys Toy

Mykeys Toy

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,089 posts
  • South Prairie, Wa

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:40 PM

Where and how do you donate to the site?  Also, hope you use PayPal.

Billy G.

Pay pal is recommended. It should be found in one of the little links at the top of the page.

#8 Scooner

Scooner

I like subarus.

• Members
  • 792 posts
  • Cheyenne, Wyoming

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:36 AM

Shawn, i wanted to ask you if i could just send you a donation check to your shop. I noticed you had a paypal account for people to become members but i've never used paypal and i don't really plan on signing up. Is this something that could be possible for other members too?

#9 Billy G.

Billy G.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Middleburg, Fl

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:36 AM

How do you cancel old posts??

Billy G.

#10 Flowmastered87GL

Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,273 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:46 PM

I tend to donate to the board... but I often forget and I may go well over a year between my annual donations.  I wish the board would automatically PM me or something to let me know to send more money. (My donor status is probably expired right now I bet)

#11 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

Crazyeights

• Members
  • 1,462 posts
  • Pacific Northwest

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:49 AM

I consider the USMB a valuable resource and I am happy to contribute. I usually do so yearly too, but a little reminder isn't a bad thing. To Shawn and the others, Thank You! Let me know if I can offer any help from the PNW area.

#12 ford'ssubaru's

ford'ssubaru's

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 282 posts
  • SPOKANE

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:45 PM

I was just looking.  I am due to re-up my subscription.  How do I do that? 

#13 Kevint143

Kevint143

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 387 posts
  • Bakersfield, CA

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:31 AM

I support this fully! I need to make another donation.

#14 myhilo

myhilo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Addison, IL. USA

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:46 PM

Pay pal is recommended. It should be found in one of the little links at the top of the page.

Couldn't find the 'little link'  but I would like to donate w/ paypal  can you direct me of just reply with the link url......

#15 myhilo

myhilo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Addison, IL. USA

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:50 PM

Couldn't find the 'little link'  but I would like to donate w/ paypal  can you direct me of just reply with the link url......

I looked a little further and found the store subscription buttons,  does this direct the subscription to RetroRoo?

#16 ferox

ferox

King of the Echo People

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

Moving forward I will be adding items to the USMB store from my company RetroRoo as well as our company logo to the banner on the site.  This will not be invasive as I know how you all feel about ads and frankly I feel the same way about them.  

If there is a product that you think we can get and you want it added to the store please by all means ask.  I am all about making this a positive thing for you guys and my shop and not here to make a fortune but I do need to recoup the costs and keep the site free to use.  

USMB swag would be more universal.  I live half-way across the country from your shop and that is a lot closer than many of our esteemed members.  Nothing against your shop, I just relate to USMB, whereas I have never been to your shop and it's 1,500 miles away.  I could use a heavy-duty USMB tote bag as reusable grocery bags  That way they could be printed to order and wouldn't create overhead costs.  

Also, we have a lot of creative members on here with huge range of skills and abilities.  Perhaps some of them would like to make USMB products to sell on your site and you could charge a percentage.  I am having a mental block as to what that is called (con....something) when a shop allows people to sell in their store for a percentage of the purchase price.  It could even be in limited runs.  Say member such-and-such did a run of 10 USMB billet aluminum shift knobs for ea81s, you could provide the marketplace for a strange and unique cottage industry of Subaru accessories.  I paid $55 a pair for aluminum rear hatch window latches for example.  Instead of advertising external business interests you could have banner announcements of USMB and RetroRoo products, especially if they are limited run items.  I think that would also give the site more of a member-involved feel, but talk is cheap and easy and it might be more of a hassle than it's worth.

Years ago I tried a garage sale kind of approach to donation by advertising things I own for sale, but the purchase price was a donation to USMB.  I got limited response at the time (possibly because of what I was offering), but most people that made commentary thought it was a good idea.  If you could think of a way to facilitate people donating in that manner, then I think it would be easier for people to donate, especially members that don't have a lot of extra cash.  Again, it might more hassle than it's worth, but I think there are creative ways to generate monetary support beyond just cash donation.

#17 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,684 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:26 PM

Ferox, what you're thinking of is called "consignment".
And I think it'd be a great idea.
Especially considering the cost of purchasing some of these kinds off products off of marketplaces like etsy can run you upwards of $100.
I'd rather get stuff I want AND give back to the board, when I finish school and actually have money again that is :P

Twitch

#18 Dinky26

Dinky26

ALWAYS LOOKING!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 716 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:25 PM

Shawn, sent you an email, system won't let me renew.

I feel so ashamed that I'm a year over due on my subscription.....so not cool....I don't do that crap....

#19 Dinky26

Dinky26

ALWAYS LOOKING!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 716 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:04 PM

Anybody heard from Shawn lately?

I emailed him back on the 5th when I posted here and still haven't heard anything back. Just wondering.

#20 redob

redob

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:57 PM

This is the "go to" site for Subaru info and I thank you for your work and sacrifice. I dont post much but I do alot of research here and the info is invaluable. Will make a donation soon. Thank you!

Randy

Indianapolis

#21 rrgrr

rrgrr

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 437 posts
  • Bloomington

Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:52 AM

I am grateful for this forum, have learned so much here and made many great contacts. You will get my donation again soon!

#22 Txakura

Txakura

Not the Stig

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  • Colfax, WA

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:29 PM

Yes, its a dead thread but... I tried to contact through the store front. I cannot renew gold membership as there is an invoice stuck in the cart. I can't find a way around it.

#23 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 7,079 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:44 PM

I'm used to just mailing McBrat or Shawn money (Which I have not done it a long time) I really should donate something again. The USMB needs to stay alive. You can't get better info anywhere else.

The Facebook groups are the easier way to get a hold of people, but, the info they post gets lost very easily. Unlike the USMB, something posted 10yrs ago, is still there helping folks today!

Edited by TheLoyale, 04 September 2015 - 01:45 PM.

#24 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 7,079 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:01 PM

I made a $15 Donation. Cheers guys!

PS: I will probably be buying a L Shirt and Hoodie in the next week. If they are still available.

Edited by TheLoyale, 04 September 2015 - 02:02 PM.

#25 Dinky26

Dinky26

ALWAYS LOOKING!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 716 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:08 AM

I'm used to just mailing McBrat or Shawn money (Which I have not done it a long time) I really should donate something again. The USMB needs to stay alive. You can't get better info anywhere else.

The Facebook groups are the easier way to get a hold of people, but, the info they post gets lost very easily. Unlike the USMB, something posted 10yrs ago, is still there helping folks today!

Mine is the same way, ordered a T-shirt & decal last year in February/March have yet to receive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users