Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OEM window molding

If you find the actual part you will have accomplished something very special.

A few of us have parts manuals and I'm sure eventually one of us will post the part number.

Keep in mind Subaru has newer superseded part numbers now and your local guy will likely find they are not available.

Lucky us! I will try and let y'all know when/if I find a solution other than the ever effective 100 mph tape.

Scooner, there is a guy on Portland Craigslist that has a couple of old brats. If you search Portland "Auto parts" for "brat" you should get his info. I understand you are not local, but a w/s is kinda important.

Thanks

Oh actually i have a windshield in both BRATS but they have cracks. I am pretty surprised at the amount of BRATS i've found around here in SE wyoming. The lady who i bought these two cars has two more and a boat load of parts but i am all tapped out cash wise. I'm hoping she craigslists the stuff but she probably won't out of laziness.

Oh actually i have a windshield in both BRATS but they have cracks. I am pretty surprised at the amount of BRATS i've found around here in SE wyoming. The lady who i bought these two cars has two more and a boat load of parts but i am all tapped out cash wise. I'm hoping she craigslists the stuff but she probably won't out of laziness.

I have full glass insurance on my 85' Brat. It costed me an extra 50$ a year and now if ANY of my glass gets damaged the insurance company will find me the piece and get it installed all for free.

Not sure if your insurance company has anything like that, but I recently got a windshield put in because of that. Also, this covers the hard to find T-tops. If one of those shatters, I'll get a new one. 

Something to consider.

The company I work for has a vendor that does custom moldings, I actually started going through their catalog to see what sort of similar profile material the do have. The biggest problem is it has a 90deg bend and a 30-ish degree bend in the seal that goes against the windshield, so you might have to layer and glue two seals together to get those curves/angles. I'm sure glad my 78 4WD wagon has its seals mostly intact.

If you check out this link:http://www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au/page22.jpg

In the top left hand corner is number 216.042. This is the only weather strip I am aware of that approximates the original subaru trim. It is more 'rubber like' than the OEM piece but it does fit using the original metal clips. I am not sure if Scott's Old Auto Rubber will ship to the US but perhaps you can find something with the same/similar profile as the pic?

It is actually listed as being suitable for 1975 Subarus but I have used it on my 1978 wagon: http://www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au/SUBARU%201975%20SEDAN.htm

I will say it is a good substitute for the original but it does not seal against the glass as well as the OEM 'hard' weather strip.

Edited by Leeroy