Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Picked up a 1979 DL automatic today...

My buddy Brett and I picked up a 1979 DL automatic today. Looks just like my 4wd manual wagon except the paint is nicer! What a clean car.

Looks like it spent most of it's life in Colorado as the rust is pretty minimal. Has about 54k on the clock.

We were planning on parting it out for our other projects, but it's just too nice. Currently it won't shift out if first. After changing this vacuum valve thingy on the side of the transmission and flushing out all of the old fluid it still won't shift...car runs great otherwise!

Any thoughts? If we can get this transmission fixed we'll probably just drive it since it drives pretty nice...

Edited by sjschlag

Up above the modulator you replaced on the upper passenger side there is a governor. I think it's three 10mm bolts that hold it in place. Take that out gently and clean it as I'm sure it's gunked up from sitting.

I had success that way with one of our automatic cars.

You access that from the engine bay. It's toward the front of the tranny.

Correct ^^^ +1 on this. I would also check the drive gear on it. I had a situation on a 3at that had a small tear in the filter screen inside the pan. It was just enough to let particulates stop the governor from working freely. Finally after about 3 cleanings, each that would last a month or two, I found the tear and replaced the screen. I never had another problem with it.

There might still be the original white plastic type still on eBay.

There also exists a metal upgrade governor gear which a good dealer source guy should be able to dig out. That could conceivably take you a lifetime to wear out if you treat the car as novelty and not full time daily.