Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Newbie in need.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 robaru

robaru

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Columbia Gorge

Posted 15 May 2004 - 07:36 PM

Just found this site today, Wow, lots of info. I have been chasing a power problem in my 87 GL Carb 4x4 wagon non-turbo. I just finished putting a motor from a wrecked car in my car (I had a big chip out of the intake valve on cylinder#1.) I put 2 remanufactured heads on. Prior to this I bought a rebuilt carb and installed it with no effect as well. The problem is power form about 1/3 throttle to 3/4 throttle. It hesitates badly in that range. As soon as I get past 3\4 throttle, it suddenly regains the power I'd expect. Wires, cap, rotor, plugs, are all new. Air filter is new. The problem was unaffected by the lower end swap. I still have parts from the other car, distributer, coil, carb and intake manifold. It's a car from California, so it has all the emmision stuff. I'd be greatful for any direction.

#2 beauregaardhooligan

beauregaardhooligan

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • Greenville, SC

Posted 16 May 2004 - 12:42 AM

One of the 1st things I learned about our Subarus is how picky they are about their fuel filters. Replace it right away just to be sure.
It really sounds like an ignition timing issue to me, though. Give it as much advance as it'll take without pinging under load.
Oh, yeah.
Welcome to the board!

#3 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 10:37 AM

Yeah, play with the timing some...thats the first place id start after seeing what you've replaced so far.

#4 robaru

robaru

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Columbia Gorge

Posted 16 May 2004 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for the reply. The filter is new, I should have listed that as well. I put the car on a timing light last night and reved the motor, and it wasn't a very smooth increase in timing on the flywheel. It jumped around abit as I slowely reved the motor. It also didn't always come down to the same spot on idle. Do most stick with the 8 degrees BTDC, or fiddle with it abit? So just for fun I left the vacume line off and went for a drive. It seemed to run a little better. I have a distributer off a 85 gl. It looks abit different. One distributers wiring connects with a plug, the older one looks like it just hooks to the pos and neg leads on the coil. I'm starting to suspect the distributer. Thanks again for the reply. Sorry I'm so long winded. The car is in great shape, and It's so functional, I really want to get it going good.

#5 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 11:22 AM

Sounds like the vac advance unit is going a little nutty. Id take it out and inspect it for anything out of place....and still try bumping the timing up to aobut 12-14 deg.

#6 robaru

robaru

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Columbia Gorge

Posted 16 May 2004 - 12:49 PM

I'll try to advance it tonight. Thanks.

#7 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 16 May 2004 - 01:04 PM

Yeah - might want to remove the disty, and dissasemble it for inspection. Could have some corrosion on the mechanical advance too. Also - when using the timing light, disconnect the disty vac advance, and plug the port for it.

GD

#8 robaru

robaru

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Columbia Gorge

Posted 16 May 2004 - 01:24 PM

Thanks again. I'll go ahead and pull the distributer and check it out. I'll let you know what I find. Appreciate the help.

#9 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 16 May 2004 - 01:30 PM

pop off the cap and see if the rotor wiggles. If the shaft wiggles around you probaly have bad bushings which will cause all sorts of fun problems. Another thing you can do is attach a vacuum pump (or a piece of vacuum hose and use your God-given vacuum pump) to the vacuum advance canister and suck on it (or use pump) and see if the mechanism inside moves. If it doesn't, or it won't hold vacuum, the canister is bad and will need replacing. My 85 has a bad vac. advance, and it gets 18MPG and is GUTLESS as all hell!

#10 robaru

robaru

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Columbia Gorge

Posted 16 May 2004 - 07:32 PM

I did suck on the vacume tube, but really didn't want to admit to it. Luckily it was dark out and I doubt anyone saw. I had visions of the hood falling down on me. I didn't think to keep the suction on to see if it held. It did move but it wasn't smooth. Guess I'll do it again. Thanks for the help.

#11 robaru

robaru

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Columbia Gorge

Posted 19 May 2004 - 12:32 PM

Well, I think I found the problem. The vacume advance attaches to this plate that rotates with bearings. The bearings are sticky and don't advance smoothly, so I pulled it out, clearned it and relubed it. Put it back in a drove it, but it was still abit sticky, better though. A new plate costs $72. Not cheap. Thanks for the help again.

#12 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 19 May 2004 - 12:40 PM

Get a disty from the JY if you can, and either use the plate from it, or have it rebuilt.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users