Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New and looking to buy an '87 GL10 Turbo Wagon

I've been looking for a vehicle to get around in with gas prices on the rise and came across an '87 GL10 Turbo Wagon part-time 4x4. I immediately thought of all the fun me and my buddies had in these wagons in High School. I was always impressed how good these things ran and performed. I dont have much experience with the turbo side of them though. This car also seems to be loaded with all the bells and whistles. It has a digital readout on the dash full air and power, more then I'll ever need. It has a new clutch and radiator and the motor runs strong (cant remember the miles on it). I can pick it up for $900.

Is there anything that I should look for before I hand over cash? I also searched and it looks like I can expect between 20 and 30 mpg depending on conditions.

The only thing it seems to be missing is a low range but I can deal with that. :D

Thanks in advance for your help.

Check for axles clicking(will mean new axles needed), lifters ticking(they almost all do that), overheating(bad bad bad.. especially on a turbo), and oil leaking from the cams and front crank seals( I think they are designed to leak...)

$900 for one in good shape with new stuff.. go for it.

I had a '88 turbo GL-10 for many years and it was great to drive. This was the top of the line car then.

The head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets gave me a problem on mine along with the usual oil leaks. The alternator was a little weak also and had to work on that a couple of times.

You should be able to get at least 23mpg around town with a manual I would guess.

Thanks for the reply's!

The motors been swapped out once and seems to be in good shape. I'll check the CVC'c and the frame in the front. I expect the frame to be in good condition as I dont see too much frame rot out here in the west.

Where do the oil leaks happen? I'll look for that also.