Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just Bought A Gem: 1985 Subaru DL Wagon

I guess I got lucky with my two Subarus. Both cars were from NY (the Bronx and Staten island), both were real low mileage (52,000 and 46,000) and we paid a grand total of $2,200 combined. One was 1k flat, the other 1,200. Neither of them have ever really leaked oil very badly. The Loyale did blow its front main seal around 70k and other than an oil pump replacement on the Loyale and a water pump, radiator, and a Weber in the gl, both are great runners.

Then I read about all the other Subarus leaking so much and I count my blessings so to speak lol.

Good luck with the repairs! I keep finding no matter what it is we have to do to keep these going, it's worth it.

I have had my oil pan off a couple times (grrr) and not touched the mm's -I was able to release the pan, and spin it and work around the pump pickup to let it drop. Just remember the move made to get it back on and do the reverse-very carefully not touching the sealant to anything until it's in position to get a couple bolts started. It's tricky, but can be done. YMMV Hope this helps.

The real hard part for me was getting those rear bolts in!

Edited by rrgrr

Quick question everyone.  I am in the midst of ordering the plethora of parts to get my DL back to health and I am little confused on which water pump to get.  I am reading there is a water pump for cars with AC and then one for non-AC DL's.  My DL does not have AC.

WIll this water pump work?  http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?tab=search&partnum=42208&mfr=GATES

Says 4 3/32 inch hub height. (110 mm).  The other pump style is 105 mm.

Thanks!

Edited by stoogesman